Knowledgeable in budget planning; Knowledgeable in supervising with extensive background working within correctional library systems. Fast learner and multi-tasker willing to work flexible schedule, including weekend and night shifts.
The primary purpose of this position is to manage the administration, fiscal management and statewide correctional library operations and provide general supervision to the correctional facilities library units.
Management and Administrative Activities:
- Prepares fiscal year library plans for the entire correctional library services by allocating library performance objectives within budget appropriations. Studies and evaluates workload, analyze, evaluate, and modify library program plans.
- Prepares fiscal year budgetary estimates to accomplish Library Services functions for legislative approval.
- Coordinates activities of library services by meeting with subordinate library staff to ensure compliance with library program plans.
- Approves payment of invoices and monitors expenditures as part of overall cost containment measures.
- Attends staff meetings held by the Corrections Program Services Administrator, the Director, and the facilities.
- Conducts staff conferences with subordinate supervisors to convey management objectives and explain/discuss how Department policies & procedures will be implemented.
- Instructs library personnel on methods to be employed in resolving law library operational problems.
-Trains and advises library staff by conferring with them, observing, aiding and instructing them, and pointing out areas for improvement in work methods and techniques to ensure optimal performance.
- Reviews, investigates, and resolves personnel problems through the use of collective bargaining provisions and State personnel rules and regulations and takes appropriate disciplinary actions.
- Supervises preparation of or writes position descriptions for all positions in the section and initiates, prepares and submits documents for personnel actions (i.e., transfers, promotions, recruitment, etc.)
- Reviews qualifications of applicants, interviews such applicants, and recommends the selection of the most qualified person(s) for appointment and/or promotion.
- Establishes work performance standards for positions under his/her immediate supervision, rates their job performance and discusses ratings with incumbents in order to improve performance.
- Reviews and recommends to the Department of the Attorney General policies or legislation for new laws to curb frivolous and capriciously filed lawsuits filed by inmates, in effort to discourage further frivolous lawsuits.
- Represents the Public Safety Department in the preparation of court responses involving inmate allegations of inadequate access to the courts and law libraries.
Halawa Correctional Facility Head Librarian IV:
-Responsible for the supervision of library programs in the medium (pop. 1400 inmates), and High Security (pop. 250 inmates).
- Planned, assigned, supervised, and reviewed the work of one Librarian III, one Library Technician V and twenty eight (28) inmate workline.
- Reviews facility needs of books and recommends addition to the existing law and recreational collections and the provision of new services.
- Interprets policies and procedures, answers grievance reports, networks with the Attorney General's Office and the Ombudsman to address and solve inmate concerns.
- Coordinated programs and activities with community groups, government and other special agencies.
- Submitted monthly, quarterly, and annual reports to the administration on a timely basis.
- Plans and schedules inmates for law and recreational library services.
- Participates in weekly meetings with the warden and other program supervisors in the facility.
- Is familiar with labor relations techniques, the Hawaii Revised Statutes and the Department of Public Safety policies & procedures.
Librarian III Waiawa Correctional Facility
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Served as the Librarian in WCF library setting, and was responsible for the law and recreational library collections.
- In charge of scheduling inmates for library services, and provided general reference services for law and recreational books to inmates, also maintains and give inmates instructions in how to access NEXIS-LEXIS legal kiosk.
-Is the responsibility authority for library in-house rules for inmates.
- Participates in weekly staff meetings with Warden and program staff.
- Performs descriptive cataloging of recreational books following the ALA cataloging rules with extensive use of the Dewey Decimal Classification system.
- Collects and records statistical data concerning inmates' participation, books circulated, and donated materials.
- Prepares monthly and annual reports for the Department Librarian.
- Is the first responder to inmate grievances.
- Establishes working relationship with community and cultural groups which stages performances for inmates.
Participated in OIFIII (Operation Iraqi Freedom III) from 2003-2005, also Continuation OIF 2009-2010. Sergeant First Class (E7) platoon Sgt. MOS: 92 A Quartermaster and 25W Communication Sgt. Participated in numerous drills in 24 years. Retired as a SFC in October 2010.
Supervision and planning.
Resumes, and other information uploaded or provided by the user, are considered User Content governed by our Terms & Conditions. As such, it is not owned by us, and it is the user who retains ownership over such content.
Many factors go into creating a strong resume. Here are a few tweaks that could improve the score of this resume:
Job Titles Held: