Table of Contents
Since you’re applying for a position in sales, you’re probably already very good at pitching your skills and services as well as the skills, services and products of others. However, resumes have their own set of implicit rules, and our sales representative resume template for Word will help you properly format your resume while giving you tips on how to include only the most necessary information and nothing superfluous. Continue reading to learn how to have an immediate impression on employers by crafting an excellent summary statement, skills section, work history section and education section. .
Writing Your Summary Statement
The summary statement is your way of quickly presenting your experience, skills and traits. It used to be customary to start a resume with an “objective,” but that practice has been generally discarded because the only reason why anyone would submit a resume would be to get a job. Decide between writing about three short sentences or three short bullet points, and use our sales representative resume template for Word to get the formatting just right.
Here are some examples of excellent summary statements:
Sales representative with over five years of experience. Persuasive with excellent writing skills. Professional attitude and an endless desire to improve and learn.
Sales representative with four years of experience in the global marketplace. Self-motivated and an excellent active listener. Friendly but professional and reserved.
Sales representative with two summers’ worth of internship experience. Service oriented, socially perceptive and very skilled with Microsoft Excel. Driven to learn and help others.
• Twenty years’ experience
• Strong computer skills and patient with customers
• Socially perceptive and an aggressive negotiator
Writing Your Skills Section
The skills section is the best place to show that you carefully read the job description for the posting that you’re applying for and to show that you understand the demands of the sales industry. Be honest and truly list your skills, but try to focus on any keywords in the job description and any other skills that are relevant to being a sales representative. Use our sales representative resume template for Word as a guide, and follow these suggestions to include specific and relevant content.
• Use short phrases; sentence fragments are acceptable.
• Try to keep your list at or less than eight skills.
• Use a table to save space and efficiently present yourself to a reader.
These are some of the skills that employers generally want in sales representatives:
• Active listening
• Reading comprehension
• Social perceptiveness
Writing Your Work History Section
The work history section is the logical place to justify the skills that you claim to have in the previous section. Make your resume really shine by not only accurately listing recent and prior employment, but by including five to seven bullets for each position to explain what you did at that job and to showcase any recognition or achievements that you earned. Our sales representative resume template for Word will help you format this section, and these additional guidelines and examples will take you one step closer to finishing your resume.
• Begin with your current or most recent job and move back chronologically.
• Be consistent with your use of months and years or just years.
• Begin every point with an affirmative word if you can.
Here are some examples of sales representative work history descriptions and achievements:
• Highest count of new clients in May 2015
• Sold products to retailers and worked closely with them to make sure brand properly represented
• 4.5 out of 5 star performance rating in 2014
• Attracted an average of three new major clients per month
Writing Your Education Section
Although work experience is much more important if you’ve been working for years, the education section is still necessary and is especially important for students or recent graduates who have less work experience. All you need to do is follow along with our sales representative resume template for Word and these additional guidelines so that a reader can clearly and immediately understand what your highest level of education is and if you have participated in any additional, informal coursework.
• Include all relevant seminars, training or courses that relate to your skills as a sales representative.
• Don’t list your high school diploma unless that is your highest level of education.
• List any specific coursework that you think is relevant if you didn’t finish a degree in its entirety.
Example of Education Section for Maintenance Technician:
Bachelor of Business Ñ 2016
Northern Illinois University Ñ DeKalb, IL
Courses included: finance, communications
Additional course: online marketing