What is a Resume Objective?
Think of your resume objective as your elevator pitch, one to three sentences that outline your professional goals and highlight your most relevant skills. Like the more commonly used professional summary, a resume objective sits at the top of your resume and is the first thing recruiters see when they scan your resume.
Whereas a professional summary tells an employer about your skills and experience, a resume objective’s function is to tell a potential employer more about your career goals.
What Should I Include in My Resume Objective?
Writing a resume objective is simple. To start, you’ll need to gather the following pieces of information:
Your professional goals. Why do you want this job?
Your experience level. If you are new to the workforce, use your resume objective to explain that to an employer.
Your most relevant skills. Which skills do you possess that are most relevant to the role?
Who Should Use a Resume Objective?
While most job seekers should use a professional summary, there are some instances in which a resume objective is ideal. Use a resume objective if you:
Are applying for your first job.
A resume objective is ideal for entry-level applicants with little to no work history since it allows you to outline your professional goals.
Are switching careers.
A resume objective is a great place to explain your goals and outline the transferable skills you’ll bring to the table.
Have gaps in your employment.
If you have been raising children or stepped away from work to deal with a health crisis, using a resume objective allows you to explain the reasons why you have been away from the workforce.
Resume Success Stories
6 Dos and Don’ts for Writing a Resume Objective
- Do state your professional goals.
- Do mention your experience level — if you are new to the workforce, that’s OK.
- Do explain why you are qualified for the job, even if you have limited experience.
- Don’t write in the first person.
- Don’t forget to list your relevant skills.
- Don’t forget to personalize your resume objective for each role.
Resumes by Industry
LiveCareer’s library of resume examples is a handy tool for job seekers who are learning to write their resume objectives. Choose a resume example for your industry and see how other job seekers have used our tools to write compelling resume objectives.
Have a Professional Write Your Resume
Want to make a great first impression, but don’t want to write your resume yourself? LiveCareer offers professional resume-writing services that guarantee a polished, eye-catching document in just three days.
The benefits of using professional resume writing services include:
- The chance to work with a certified resume writer who will craft a resume specifically to meet your needs.
- Help telling your story, which can be tricky if you have limited work experience. Our resume writers know how to tell your story in the most compelling way.
- It saves you time. You are guaranteed to have a finished resume that meet your needs within three days.