When you get asked about the goals you would have if you got the job, the interviewer is really asking if you think ahead. If you have goals, it shows that you thought ahead about applying and are doing so for a reason. This type of question shows the hiring manager that you are planning to stick around for a while. This question also helps the interviewer find out if your goals match up with the goals that the company has for this position. When you answer questions about your goals it highlights your ambitions, the attributes that you value and achievements you view as possible. This tells the hiring manager how you will fit in at the company.
Points to Emphasize
It is important to focus on traits, experiences and goals that line up with the job you are applying for.
- Do some research, so you know where the company is heading. Talk about goals that fit with the goals of the company.
- Talk about the plans you would set in motion to reach those goals. This makes them seem more attainable to the interviewer.
- Discuss what past experiences would help you in your quest to reach those goals.
- Make sure the goals you talk about are realistic and within your ability to achieve.
Whenever you answer a question, you want to make sure that it shows that you are qualified and capable of performing the duties required for the position you are applying for.
Mistakes You Should Avoid
There are certain pitfalls you want to avoid when answering this question.
- Do not talk about goals that contradict what the company is striving for.
- Be careful not to sound too independent. Make it clear that you would use the team available to you to achieve these goals.
- Don’t talk about goals that lead you outside of the company.
- Try not to come off as arrogant. You want to be confident without being arrogant.
Keep your answer truthful and in line with what the company stands for.
Here is an example of what a great answer might look like:
If I were to get this job, I would want to streamline the customer service, buff up the marketing and continue advancing the database. Customer service is one of the most important things we do, and I would want to make that process easier. I noticed that the marketing is a little behind, so I would want to bring that up to speed again. My technical know-how would aid in advancing the database.
Give them a positive, realistic answer.
Popular Interview Questions
- What Qualifications Do You Have That Make You Successful In This Position?
- What Are Your Salary Requirements?
- Why Should We Hire You?
- Are You A Leader Or A Follower?
- View All Interview Questions
- 15 Job Interviewing Tips
- First Impressions
- View All Interview Articles
- Sample Interview Questionnaires
- Interviewing Accomplishment Samples
- View All Interview Samples