Aug 16, 2018 - 08:57 AM
• Full name
• City and state
• Phone number
• Email address
Depending on the job you want to get, you may also want to include a link to your portfolio or professional social media profile.
As you create this part of your letter, you need to make sure it stands out in the best way. This means using a professional-looking text font. You can make your name a standout piece of the header by using a bold emphasis or a slightly larger font size.
The placement of your header should match your resume. If you put the header at the center of the resume, you want to keep the header at the center of the page. You can also put your contact information in the left or right corners.
Apr 22, 2019 - 06:10 PM
You should also place the calendar date in the cover letter header. Below is an example of a cover letter header. Lead with your contact information, then move on to writing the contact information for the person to whom you are writing.
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
Your Email Address
Company City, State, Zip Code
To learn more about cover letter writing, drop by LiveCareer's How to Write a Cover Letter page, or try using their free Cover Letter Builder
May 08, 2020 - 05:48 PM
In keeping with business letter formatting, cover letter headings should also include the date the letter is sent. A professional cover letter header should follow the following format:
- Your name
- Email address
- Telephone number
- LinkedIn profile link (if applicable)
- Relevant, personal website or portfolio link (if applicable)
- The date: (include a space before and after it)
- Hiring manager, recruiter or human resources contact name
- Company address, written in standard post office style and left justified, according to Purdue University
A few tips:
- Your email address should only show your full name or initials, like firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Keep it simple. Your header should be straightforward and clean for readability; no fancy graphics or bright colors.
- Hiring managers will check your LinkedIn account, so make sure it's up-to-date.