Use this professional created Mail Carrier job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Mail carriers are responsible for delivering mail to residences and businesses, typically along a designated route. Depending on the location, routes are traversed on foot, by vehicle or both. Other details to include in your mail carrier job description are postage sales, mail collection and sorting.
The required skills and education needed to qualify as a mail carrier are relatively limited. All candidates must be 18 years or older and have permanent resident status. They will have to perform a written exam to ensure reading proficiency, so applicants should be competent in the English language.
Mail carriers should be physically capable of lifting and carrying heavy sacks. Additionally, they must pass a criminal background check and hold a driver’s license.
Mail Carrier Job Description Template
Searching for a job with great hours, benefits and pay? We would love to have you, an organized and efficient team player, join our personable team of courteous mail carriers. We will provide you with a quality company vehicle that is regularly cleaned and serviced to ensure that you are able to fulfill your duties with ease and efficiency. Enjoy the satisfaction of knowing that you are facilitating communication between loved ones on a daily basis and performing the important function of delivering packages and goods to consumers. As an integral part of our team, you will receive top-notch field training that will equip you with the confidence you need to perform your job well and become eligible for career advancements and pay increases.
- Load mail in delivery vehicle and sort it in preparation for efficient delivery along your assigned route.
- Communicate with and follow route instructions from centralized dispatcher via a handset provided by the company. Be willing to change or modify routes as needed.
- Operate company vehicle in accordance with motor vehicle regulations, auto insurance guidelines and company policies.
- Receive and sign for undeliverable mail and incoming mail, then ensure it is delivered to the correct recipient or handled in an appropriate manner.
- Collect and maintain change of address information and prepare mail for forwarding to new addresses as needed.
- Sell money orders, stamped paper and stamps to customers. Maintain an accurate inventory of stamped paper and stamps and resupply as needed.
- Maintain accurate and detailed logs for vehicle maintenance and mail pick up and delivery.
- Invite new customers to try our service and encourage current customers to continue using our mailing services.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Current, valid driver’s license
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to lift packages weighing up to 75 pounds
- Excellent navigational skills
- Ability to stand and sit for prolonged periods of time
- Previous mail-carrying experience