Lecturer Job Description Writing and Posting in 3 Easy Steps
Use this professional created Lecturer job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Lecturers teach higher education students and monitor their progress, tutoring them if needed. They conduct research, prepare lectures and oversee examinations. They also are expected to write scholarly papers and oversee research budgets.
Your lecturer job description should stress the need for a relevant, solid undergraduate degree and specify postgraduate degree requirements. Strong candidates should be good researchers who have expertise in the subject they are teaching, and they need excellent presentation skills.
Your job description should describe key personality traits as well as technical capability. Because lecturers need to build relationships with students, they should have strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal. They also need to be highly self-motivated.
Lecturer Job Description Template
Our department strives to maintain a teaching staff with a diverse arrange of interests within our field of study so that our students have the best education possible. As a lecturer at our institution, you would be responsible for coordinating and teaching several introductory and upper division courses, with the option to design your own course within your chosen area of focus. You also will have time to continue your research with an expectation that you will regularly publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, attend professional conferences and otherwise make strides to become a top name in the field. As a member of our team, you will also have a chance to mentor the next generation of our department's best scholars.
- Develop several engaging courses within your field of study, including choosing the reading material, creating assignments and arranging a syllabus.
- Present stellar lectures to graduate and undergraduate students that inspire strong discussions and keep students interested.
- Remain current in the field of study through regular research, attendance at conferences and publishing in peer-reviewed journals and similar places.
- Conduct office hours on a regular basis to provide time for students to come and talk with you about their grades, assignments and other issues.
- Mentor students, especially graduate students, and assist them in their pursuit of their degree, such as providing academic and career advisement.
- Grade assignments and ensure that all students remain in compliance with the department's policy on academic integrity, including checking for any cheating and/or plagiarism.
- Develop strong relationships with colleagues within the department and throughout the institution for an enhanced learning environment that values interdisciplinary study.
- Participate in professional and collegiate organizations, including as a committee member, to remain abreast of all emerging developments.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Ph.D. in a relevant field
- 3-5 years’ experience teaching at the post-secondary level
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, especially Power Point
- Published author in at least one peer-reviewed journal or similar publication
- Active member of a relevant professional organization
CREATE MY JOB DESCRIPTION
View More Education Job Descriptions