Cashier Job Description Writing and Posting in 3 Easy Steps
Use this professional created Cashier job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Cashiers perform numerous duties at retail stores. They greet customers, scan purchases and accept payments through either cash or credit cards. Cashiers are also responsible for answering customers’ questions regarding a product and informing patrons of the store’s various policies.
Your cashier job description can reference education requirements if necessary, although generally a high school diploma or GED is all that is needed. Cashiers should be familiar with basic mathematics since they will be handling money.
Desired personality traits in cashiers include having a warm, friendly demeanor. Cashiers need to be excellent communicators. They should also have good physical stamina because they will most likely be standing a majority of the time they work.
Cashier Job Description Template
Are you a bright, outgoing person who likes to help other people have a better experience? If so, you could make an ideal cashier. Cashiers are primarily responsible for helping customers with payment and packaging as they complete their purchases, but they are also often the first store staff that customers encounter. That makes it vitally important for cashiers to do more than just ring orders—you also want to be knowledgeable about the store’s products and cheerful when you encounter customer questions. That way, you help to enhance their visit by making the store into a warm and welcoming place for them to shop.
- Operate the register, while accurately and efficiently delivering an error-free record of the transaction and a balanced drawer at the end of every shift.
- Take responsibility for and manage the contents of your drawer during your shift, including making drops as dictated by store policy.
- Process layaways, returns, and exchanges in accordance with store policies to ensure customer satisfaction and proper documentation of all customer service activities.
- Greet customers cheerfully as they enter the store or approach the register, ensuring all their needs are met.
- Answer customer questions or refer them to the staff who can best provide answers if the information is specific to a certain department or product.
- Keep the register area neat and orderly, including any merchandise presented at check-out, presenting a professional and clean counter to customers approaching with their new purchases.
- Cross-train with other cashiers to promote continuous professional development while providing enculturation opportunities to new employees.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Dependability in both attendance and drawer management
- A positive attitude that helps enhance the customer’s experience
- Flexibility and the ability to work with a schedule that may be different from week to week
- Some prior retail experience
- Knowledge of the store’s goods and primary brands
CREATE MY JOB DESCRIPTION
View More Customer Service Job Descriptions