Use this professional created Pharmacist job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Pharmacists fill prescriptions and offer advice on proper usage. Some also provide immunizations and conduct screenings for health and wellness. Pharmacists work in a variety of settings, including hospitals, clinics and chain pharmacies in drugstores.
In your pharmacist job description, you should state that you’re looking for a licensed pharmacist with a PharmD degree. Most states also require pharmacists to have a certification if they will be administering immunizations. Other certifications may be required depending on the particular job, which allows the pharmacist to become specialized in a certain medical specialty, such as diabetes care.
A pharmacist should have strong analytical skills to provide medications safely. Communication skills are also necessary in order to successfully advise the patient. Many pharmacists manage their pharmacies and thus must be able to oversee staff and properly account for their inventory.
Pharmacist Job Description Template
Our wellness center is in need of a pharmacist dedicated to helping patients feel their best, assisting them in understanding their health condition(s) and providing them with great customer service. As our pharmacist, we’ll rely on you to utilize your education and experience to ensure patients receive the proper prescription, dosage and instruction on how to properly take their medication. You’ll report to the senior pharmacist to ensure that all our pharmaceutical services remain consistent, and you might also be asked to help assist and checkout regular customers. This pharmacist position offers generous upward mobility as well as the chance to further your education through our continuing education program. We’ve got the perfect prescription for unsatisfied pharmacists looking to take the next step in their careers.
- Compound and administer prescriptions in adherence to the latest medical and safety requirements.
- Inform physicians and patients of drug interactions, precautions and side effects in order that they remain well-informed and educated on their prescriptions and medications.
- Update and maintain patient and medication database as needed.
- Review prescriptions before administering them for accuracy and safety.
- Remain up-to-date on the latest prescriptions, their uses, and laws and regulations related to pharmaceuticals.
- Attend monthly trade shows and/or seminars to improve industry knowledge and education. (All travel and lodging costs will either be paid for by the company or reimbursed by the company.)
- Support staff in ringing up and assisting customers throughout the store as needed.
- Recommend medication, both prescription and over-the-counter, to patients and customers according to their health conditions, health goals and personal budgets.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Degree in PharmD and at least three years of experience as a pharmacist
- Active Registered Pharmacist (RPh) license
- Up-to-date knowledge of pharmaceutical technology and databases
- Superior written and oral communication abilities
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving and organizational skills
- Experience with MS Office applications