Use this professional created Systems Administrator job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
A systems administrator oversees the everyday operations of the company’s computer and network systems. Administrators handle set-up and installation of systems, as well as troubleshooting, evaluation of systems performance and maintenance. They also create user manuals and provide training for users.
Technical skill is essential to performance in this position. Make sure your systems administrator job description specifies the education and/or experience for systems in your specific industry, as industry requirements can vary greatly. Administrators also need good problem-solving skills to efficiently address any issues that arise.
Because computer technology is always developing, a systems administrator must be committed to staying current via research and continued professional development. Communication is also essential for an administrator who needs to explain technical concepts to users without computer backgrounds.
Systems Administrator Job Description Template
If you want to take your love of computers to the next level in a fast-paced and challenging environment, we would love to have you join our team of talented system administrators. You will get the chance to work with multiple platforms and use your skills to influence our IT structure. We encourage creative and innovative solutions and give our employees plenty of opportunities to challenge themselves and take on a variety of projects. You will have the satisfaction of resolving complex issues and taking responsibility for maintaining large databases. If you are ready to use your expertise and education in a unique and fulfilling environment, we are ready to reward your hard work with a competitive salary and benefits package.
- Interface directly with the help desk and IT support technicians to resolve and document hardware and software troubleshooting tickets, bug reports and errors.
- Provide immediate, direct customer support and troubleshooting help to end users through email, telephone and personal communication.
- Manage, deploy and configure hardware upgrades, software updates, security patches and other necessary items on an as-needed basis.
- Perform daily system monitoring and backup procedures to ensure data security, availability and integrity of required resources, and proper recording of application logs and reviews.
- Administer on-call and after-hours technical support during monthly scheduled outages and unscheduled emergency situations.
- Collaborate with various managers and other IT personnel to improve existing processes, increase automation and meet product development goals.
- Support daily operations and monitoring of multiple databases, user accounts, file permissions and other systems according to standard operating procedures for storage and backup architectures.
- Participate in required compliance activities as needed, including data log collection, statistical analysis and proper reporting standards.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s in computer science or related field plus minimum three years’ experience in system administration
- Expert-level proficiency in a minimum of two unique operating systems
- Strong skills in minimum one scripting language
- Ability to work independently and collaborate with peers as needed
- Experience with data center operations
- Strong oral and written communications skills