HVAC Technician Job Description Writing and Posting in 3 Easy Steps
Use this professional created HVAC Technician job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
HVAC technicians ensure the heating, cooling and ventilation systems in a building are always operational. This entails routine inspections and installation of new wiring systems. These technicians make recommendations pertaining to improvements that can be made. Repairing old parts and testing new parts are important tasks.
Your HVAC technician job description should mention the need for a license because it is required by law that people who work with refrigerants need to be licensed in the state they work. Applicants should also have training from a technical school or several years of on-site experience.
An eye for detail, troubleshooting skills and physical stamina are important traits for candidates to possess. Knowledge of hand tools and basic math comprehension also proves to be an asset.
HVAC Technician Job Description Template
As an HVAC technician, you have the freedom to travel from job to job. If you are self-motivated, good at problem-solving, like working with your hands and enjoy meeting new people every day, this is the job for you. At our company, our technicians are tasked with working on refrigeration, ventilation, cooling and heating systems. Your job as an HVAC technician is to help our customers find a comfortable temperature, no matter what the weather is like outside, while helping them save money each month on utility bills without sacrificing comfort by offering options to improve the current system. HVAC technicians must be ready to repair, install or maintain all heating and cooling systems in a home or office building.
- Maintain, install, and repair air conditioning, ventilation and heating systems.
- Sell maintenance contracts to current customers to ensure products last longer. Perform preventative maintenance to increase the longevity of any HVAC system.
- Discuss various options with clients when it comes to heating and cooling systems, and help them determine which option is best for their situation.
- Troubleshoot issues with a current system as they are noticed.
- Conduct performance tests with specialized tools and adjust system settings to keep temperature comfortable in the home or office.
- Travel to different homes and businesses throughout the day and determine problems in order to repair or replace the system before the customer is inconvenienced.
- Categorize and organize inventory to limit unnecessary losses to the company.
- Move to and from each job quickly to maximize your time during the day and ensure that as many customers as possible are helped.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Certification or associate’s degree from an HVAC program at a technical school
- Current driver’s license
- Required state licensing for HVAC technicians showing state exams were passed
- Apprenticeship under a journeyperson for three to five years
- On the job training or experience
- Special certification through the Environmental Protection Agency to handle refrigerants
CREATE MY JOB DESCRIPTION
View More Maintenance Job Descriptions