Step 1: Writing Your Summary Statement
Here are a few examples of well-written summary statements:
Software engineer with five years of experience in corporate software applications. Specialize in C++ and Apache Tomcat. Avid reader and skilled communicator.
Software engineer with 20 years of experience in operating system design. Skilled with C++, jQuery and Microsoft ActiveX. Patient, critical thinker and strong communicator.
• Ten years’ experience in mobile application design
• C++ expert
• Driven to constantly learn, improve and solve
Step 2: Writing Your Skills Section
• Use short phrases, and don’t worry about using periods since you’ll typically be writing sentence fragments.
• A table is a great way to use blank space efficiently and makes your skills immediately visible to a reader.
• Only use three to four items per column in the table.
This is a list of some of the crucial skills that a good software engineer will have. Pick or feel free to add closely related skills to give a clear picture of your abilities.
• Judgment and decision making
• Time management
• Complex problem solving
• Critical thinking
• Active listening
• Social perceptiveness
Let’s Get You Hired
Create a professional resume in minutes with Resume Builder.
Step 3: Writing Your Work History Section
• Start this list with your most recent employer and then proceed backwards chronologically.
• If you choose to use month and year or just year to note when you worked for another company, stay consistent.
• Any mentions of experience and accomplishments should be extremely specific, unlike the generality of a skills section or job description.
These are some examples of individual software engineer work history points:
• Led a team responsible for creating new operating system that was released in 2005
• Received award for groundbreaking security design
• Tested programs and adjusted prior to release
• Built corporate software from the ground up
Step 4: Writing Your Education Section
• As with the work history section, start with the most recent or your highest level of education and move backwards.
• Whether you are applying before graduation, just use “in progress” or “anticipated graduation in (x)” to quickly tell the reader that you will graduate soon.
• Include relevant educational experiences like organizations, internships, etc. particularly if you are still in school or only recently graduated.
Example of Education Section for Software Engineer:
Bachelor in Computer Engineering
Northern Illinois University Ð DeKalb, IL
Additional courses in writing and communications
Microsoft Word Templates by Industry
- Customer Service
- Human Resources
- Transportation And Distribution
- Accounting And Finance
- Administrative Support
- Computers And Technology
- Food And Beverage
- Banking And Financial Services
- Beauty And Spa
- Community And Public Service
- Education And Training
- Law Enforcement And Security
- Manufacturing And Production
- Marketing, Advertising And Pr
- Skilled Trades
Microsoft Word Templates by Job Title
- Staff Accountant
- Financial Analyst
- Senior Accountant
- Accounting Manager
- Sales Representative
- Account Manager
- Inside Sales Representative
- Sales Associate
- Outside Sales Representative
- Administrative Assistant
- Executive Assistant
- Office Manager
- Business Analyst
- Account Executive
- Program Manager
- Sales Manager
- Medical Assistant
- Registered Nurse
- Physical Therapist
- Maintenance Technician
- Service Technician
- Maintenance Mechanic
- Software Engineer
- Java Developer
- Line Cook
- Project Manager
- Operations Manager
- Customer Service Representative