Civil Engineer Resume Objective
Civil engineers draw on a strong knowledge of physics, mathematics and design to plan, oversee or provide advice on the construction of public infrastructure. Your resume objective should clearly and concisely show that you have the knowledge and skills needed to succeed in this challenging position. Your objective is usually responsible for creating your first impression as a job candidate, so make sure that it’s written to win over potential employers.
What the Civil Engineer Resume Objective Should Tell Prospective Employers
Civil engineers work collaboratively to create, maintain or improve infrastructure, such as roads, public transit systems, bridges, power plants, dams, pipelines and waste management systems. They may use modeling and design software to produce blueprints, or they may act in supervisory rules to ensure that projects are completed efficiently and cost-effectively. Your objective should touch on your areas of expertise and technical knowledge. This statement can also call attention to your ability to solve problems, perform critical analyses and communicate with others.
Sample Civil Engineer Resume Objectives
Your objective statement should focus on the skills, experience or goals that distinguish you as a job candidate. Make sure that you use the name of the employer in the resume, since this clearly shows that you have a sincere interest in working with that employer. Here are a few sample objective statements:
1. PE-certified engineer with six years of experience in roadway design seeks civil engineer position at ABC company.
2. Pursuing work as an entry-level civil engineer at ABC company that will utilize experience surveying, drafting proposals and performing cost estimates.
3. Looking to ensure safe, efficient completion of oil development projects while employed as a civil engineer at ABC company.
4. Professional with 15 years of experience seeks a senior civil engineer position at ABC company that requires project management and risk assessment skills.
5. Seeking to apply three years of environmental engineering experience to improve public health as a civil engineer at ABC company.
Skills To Put in a Civil Engineer Resume Objective
To make your resume objective statement as strong as it can be, think carefully about which skills you will emphasize and then incorporate them throughout your objective paragraph. Hiring managers usually consider a candidate’s professional abilities to be nearly as important as their working experience. A good candidate should have both hard skills and soft skills, which cover both concrete and behavioral abilities.The first step of writing your resume objective is to review the job description carefully. This will tell you some of the skills that individual employers hope to see on the civil engineer resumes of applicants. Some think that skills only belong in the qualifications section, but it is incredibly effective to include them in the objective statement and experience section too.These skills would fit in just fine on any civil engineer resumes:
- Excellent critical thinking and evaluation abilities
- Problem solving and organizational skills
- Strong professional communication skills, including written and oral
- Design and drafting abilities
- Extensive leadership, management, and delegation experience
- Strong mathematically minded professional
- Active listening, observation, and perception skills
- Complete understanding of physics, architecture, and structural engineering
- Strong background in construction planning and management
- Creative with design and problem solving
- Excellent research abilities and report writing to present information clearly
Head Over to LiveCareer’s Resume Builder for more help with writing a resume objective.