As a general contractor, you may decide to operate your own independent business or sign on with a larger company as a contractor, project manager, or supervisor. If you choose the second option, you’ll need a resume that can demonstrate your track record of experience and highlight your training and licensing credentials. Use this general contractor resume example as a formatting guide and create a document of your own that’s divided into separate sections. Start with a summary of your overall profile, then move into subheadings for your education and training or apprenticeships, core competencies, and previous jobs.
General Contractor Advice
A general contractor is a specialized construction professional who oversees building projects from initiation to completion. The resume examples below are meant for people looking for general contractor jobs. Your resume can make all the difference in landing the interview, so these resume examples have been designed to show you what a successful general contractor might look like. Click on any of the samples to review, then pick your design and create your own winning resume.
Resume Tips for General Contractor
If you are looking for jobs as a general contractor, you should begin your job search with the proper steps. The following guide should help you get started.
1. Prepare yourself for a long job hunt. The typical amount of time that it takes to find a job is getting longer, so take the time to think about how you will provide for yourself while searching. Additionally, make sure you do not become discouraged if it takes longer than you hoped.
2. Research your chosen field. Every industry has unique attributes that affect how individuals are hired. If you take the time to familiarize yourself with the expectations, qualifications, and hiring practices, you will have an advantage.
3. Build and utilize your network. Knowing the right people can make all the difference. Your goal should be to get your resume into the hands of hiring managers directly, instead of sending it out blindly.
4. Be persistent. If you apply, you should follow it up with a phone call. Never assume you did not get a job until you are given a definitive answer. You would be surprised how many people are filtered out simply because they give up.
5. Have other options. If you cannot find the exact job you desire, you should know what other opportunities will still benefit your long-term career goals.
General Contractor Job Seeking Tips
The key to a successful job search is a winning resume. If you are seeking jobs as a general contractor, be sure to take the time to develop this document. Regardless of your field, the following resume writing tips will help you start.
1. Focus on your experience and accomplishments sections. These are the areas that employers are most interested in, so these areas should have the most information and should be the strongest.
2. Be as active as possible. Using many strong action verbs will help ensure this. Employers that read your resume need to get a feeling that you are a hard worker that is active while on the job.
3. Make your resume specific to the job you are applying for. When writing, you should always be intentional about every piece of content that you include. In fact, it is a good idea to slightly rework your resume for each new application.
4. Keep the length of your resume in mind. While the length restrictions are not as strict as many believe, you should not go over one page unless the information you are including absolutely requires the extra space.
5. Analyze your resume on a surface level. The organization of information is almost as important as the information itself. Be on the lookout for large blocks of text, wasted space, and of course, typographical errors.
No Experience General Contractor Resume
There are plenty of opportunities to land a General Contractor job position, but it won’t just be handed to you. Crafting a General Contractor resume that catches the attention of hiring managers is paramount to getting the job, and LiveCareer is here to help you stand out from the competition.