To meet the predicted growing pace of infrastructure development over the next few years, the demand for civil engineers will also rise. However, even though there will be more job openings, it’s still critical to have a strong resume to submit with your application. A summary paragraph on the top of your civil engineer resume should detail your areas of expertise in the construction sector. List all your experience by highlighting the key projects you’ve designed, built, or supervised. Be sure to include your bachelor’s degree, affiliations to civil engineering societies, and the states in which you are a licensed and registered professional. As shown in the civil engineer resume example, you should include a section on your technical skills and the computer software you are proficient in using.
Resume Tips for Civil Engineers
Finding jobs as a civil engineer requires persistence, a positive attitude, and a wide-ranging job search skill set. Read more and follow these tips to help you reach the next step in your career.
1. When you receive an invitation for an interview, research your potential employer well through various outlets. Utilizing not only their website but also their social media posts for current interests and trends, as well as trade publications in your industry, will give you great talking points and show them your interest in the company.
2. Attend career support groups and job clubs. This will give you extra support and encouragement and can also provide new job leads.
3. Assess your skills and determine if you may qualify for work in different industries. Some skills will be transferable to another industry.
4. Utilize job banks to their fullest capabilities. Also called job boards, these online sites will not only let you apply for jobs but can also post your resume for employers and give you an idea of ranges of salaries for job titles and categories.
5. Excellent organization of your applications, resumes, and networking events will help you with scheduling follow-up activities making your job search more efficient by maximizing your efforts.
Civil Engineer Advice
Your resume needs to showcase your talents in an easily readable and focused format. Consider these resume tips to polish this very important document to help you with landing jobs as a civil engineer.
1. Make sure you list your work history in the recommended and preferred order: position or title, employer, city and state of employment, and dates of employment.
2. Focus on specific accomplishments, not duties. This indicates action and leadership. Quantifying specific initiatives with numbers brings an added strength to your job descriptions.
3. If you are a mature job seeker with a degree that was received a long time ago, consider leaving out the date of graduation.
4. If you are a recent graduate without paid experience, put your education first in your resume prior to any volunteer or unpaid intern activities you may have been involved with.
5. Research keywords in the job descriptions for the positions you are seeking. Place these in your resume wherever applicable to help online software programs seek out your document over other online applicants.
Civil Engineer Job Seeking Tips
Engineering is a competitive field, so you’ll need a great resume in order to stand out. The resume examples below are perfect for civil engineers of all experience levels. Use these resume samples when crafting your own resume, and improve your chances of securing a job offer.
Civil Engineer Resume Sample
Want to use this resume?
City, State, Zip Code
Home: 000-000-0000 | Cell: 000-000-0000
Civil Engineer experienced in the building and planning of roads, bridges, dams, buildings, and underground systems. Seeking a position in which managerial and engineering expertise can be put to good use.
- Excellent leadership abilities needed to manage an entire construction project
- In-depth understanding of how to draw and interpret maps, diagrams, and blueprints
- Proficient in mathematics related to engineering, specifically geometry and conversions
- Problem-solving and analytical skills
- Knowledge of different types of materials and when to use each one
- Exceptional organizational skills needed to oversee large projects
- Work with city planners to determine necessary construction projects throughout the county
- Plan and oversee all aspects of a project from designing plans to hiring personnel to inspecting the jobsite
- Test the soil and surrounding natural elements to determine the best type of foundation
- Inspect existing bridges and road conditions to ensure they are in good condition
- Make suggestions for improvement or maintenance needed on county roads
- Draft design plans, blueprints, and diagrams for builders to follow
- Meet with construction site managers to discuss and formulate work order
- Inspect construction sites taking note of soil, grade, elevations, etc.
- Order materials needed for the project, always keeping the project budget in mind
There are plenty of opportunities to land a Civil Engineer job position, but it won’t just be handed to you. Crafting a Civil Engineer resume that catches the attention of hiring managers is paramount to getting the job, and LiveCareer is here to help you stand out from the competition.