Creating a highly-effective CV that puts your name at the top of the job candidate list takes more than writing talent and desire. You can achieve this and get an interview faster if you use writing models like the technical writer CV example detailed below. With the sample, you can learn more effective techniques that help push your CV to the top of the pile. Then, you get a better chance of receiving an invitation to a personal interview and getting the top jobs in the industry.
City, State, Zip Code
Knowledgeable wordsmith with a unique ability to combine technical know-how and effective written communication techniques. Reliable and dedicated professional writer with more than seven years of experience in the field. Distinguished and proven track record of expertise with technical manuals, complicated content, white papers, scientific presentations and complex documents. Excellent ability with editing and adjusting content based on client feedback. Strong history of meeting deadlines and exceeding expectations.
- Authored a series of training manuals for engineering firms, manufacturing clients and other industrial companies to give employees access to clear and concise information.
- Restructured complicated software and technology documentation for clients in the internet technology field to give shareholders highly readable information.
- Researched subject experts when designing new written materials for highly sophisticated repair manuals.
- Participated in observational studies of specific processes within the scope of a writing project to develop a higher level of understanding about a topic.
- Paired written content with relevant photographs or drawings to help increase readability and understanding.
- Succeeded in earning top client satisfaction scores of more than 98 percent of written output in projects for technical manuals.
- Composed articles to be published in a college level science textbook by covering a set of topics outlined by the publishing company.
- Conveyed clear and easily understandable directions about putting furniture together in a series of instruction manuals for a retail client.
- Completed timely and effective revisions of material to clarify details or add last minute changes when asked by clients.
- Strong ability to break down complicated jargon and technical terms and make it easy for the average person to understand.
- Excellent editing and composition skills that help me provide high-quality content to clients.
- Superb reading comprehension skills, which gives me an ability to develop an understanding of new technical concepts.
- Capable of meeting deadlines and managing more than one project at a time.
- Active listener and skilled at digesting written or oral instructions from co-workers or clients when putting new projects together.
Amateur novelist. In addition to technical writing, I also work on writing science/speculative fiction novels for young adults. Science fiction super fan. In my spare time, I enjoy going to science fiction conventions that cover my favorite television shows and movies. I participate in cosplay and make my own costumes for my favorite movie and television characters.
Tips for Writing Your Technical Writer CV
Technical Writer Overview
In the technical writer CV example, job candidates can learn more about some of the key components in this type of job. Technical writers are a highly-skilled subset of writers who primarily focus on technical material in science, engineering, math or technology. Besides having great writing and editing skills, technical writers must also demonstrate strong background knowledge in technical subjects. For projects that involve new subject matter, technical writers must develop expertise about topics in a short period of time. Then, they must synthesize all this information and produce content that is easily digestible for a variety of readers.
Skills and Knowledge to Include in Your Technical Writer CV
To get your CV noticed by a top recruiter, you must be careful with your use of words and topics within your job application file and supporting documents. Look at the technical writer CV example to get an idea of some of the skills and knowledge you should focus on in your own CV. First and foremost, your writing skills should be on the top of the list of skills to talk about on your CV. Give plenty of evidence about how talented you are at writing material that contains highly technical information. Additionally, mention your editing and revising abilities to show off your work and writing process. Finally, be sure to discuss your other top responsible habits, such as meeting deadlines, in your CV.
Tips for Writing an Excellent CV
In addition to using the technical writer CV example for optimal guidance in your own writing process, there are several tips to inspire you to prove why you’re the best to an employer. Don’t forget about these helpful CV tips:
- Don’t go overboard when listing your experiences and accomplishments. The average CV length is one or two pages, so keep it simple.
- New graduates must fill in their CV with additional pieces of evidence of skill since their work history may not be developed yet.
- When writing about your previous jobs, start with the most recent and work your way backward.
- Don’t ruin your chances of getting an interview by forgetting to proofread and fix spelling and grammar errors. Get a trusted friend to help you review your document at least more than once.