Just like an effective sales pitch can convince customers to buy your products or services, an effective outside sales resume must convince a potential employer to buy into the idea that you’re the best candidate for the job. To do this well, start by writing a succinct but engaging job summary statement that sums up your unique value in four to six lines. This blurb should communicate your years of experience in the industry, a few of your primary skill sets, your areas of expertise, and a defining personality trait or two. For more guidance on creating a convincing job application, study the outside sales representative resume example on this page.
Resume Tips for Outside Sales Representative
Finding jobs as a outside sales representative, like finding employment anywhere, is a much simpler process if you prepare and take the right kinds of action. Here are five tips to help you plan your hunt.
1. Stay positive. This can help you weather the grind of a job search. It’s important to cultivate the resolve to respond to rejection and roadblocks constructively.
2. Make a schedule. Organization can help keep you from getting lost in the complexity of it all. Applying to multiple jobs as a outside sales representative can quickly become overwhelming. Using daily or weekly agendas could help you maintain a sense of control.
3. Reach out to your network of colleagues, friends and family. The people you know could be a wealth of valuable connections and useful knowledge about the job scene. They could put you in touch with decision makers or point you to opportunities you may not have found on your own.
4. Research prospective employers. Learn about their company cultures and how well they treat employees. This could help make you more competitive and give you the knowledge to develop a more focused approach.
5. Take time every day to talk about your efforts. Sharing your experiences can help reduce your stress and maintain your motivation. It also keeps you accountable.
Outside Sales Representative Advice
A good resume makes an immediate, strong impression. There are some basic elements to a proper resume that you should aim to master, regardless of the industry or position in your sights. As you look for jobs as a outside sales representative, here are some pointers to bear in mind.
1. Identify your transferable skills. These are abilities gained from prior employment that could be useful in new positions. For example, if you’re applying to a courier service, it’s appropriate to mention you have driven a tractor-trailer, even though it’s not required for the new job. In this case, the driving experience is a transferable skill.
2. Don’t put anything potentially divisive on your resume. Avoid mentioning things like your religious or political affiliations. Also be careful not to include details that would allow someone to deduce such information.
3. Streamline your resume to create a strong document that gets to the point. Hiring managers have to read a lot of applications, so yours needs to make a case for your skills and value to the company quickly and convincingly.
4. Stay consistent throughout. For example, if you write, Responsibilities included, in one job entry, don’t switch to Responsible for in the next.
5. Carefully proofread your work. Grammar and spelling errors create the impression that you may be sloppy, lazy and inattentive. Taking a little extra time to polish your resume is well worth it.
Outside Sales Representative Job Seeking Tips
Ready for a job as an outside sales representative? It takes experience, a can-do attitude, and a top-notch resume. The resume examples below are designed to highlight the top skills and attributes employers are looking for in an outside sales representative. Use the resume examples to create an attention-grabbing resume that will help you get hired, sooner.
No Experience Outside Sales Representative Resume
Customize this Resume
There are plenty of opportunities to land a Outside Sales Representative job position, but it won’t just be handed to you. Crafting a Outside Sales Representative resume that catches the attention of hiring managers is paramount to getting the job, and LiveCareer is here to help you stand out from the competition.