As the face and voice of the military, your exceptional communication skills as an advisor and spokesperson are paramount to landing a job as a public affairs specialist. So when it comes to building a strong public affairs specialist resume, work on demonstrating your vast experience and skill in public relations and marketing. In a fast-paced government environment, you will need to keep your wits about you to ensure you that you are diplomatic and tactful especially in crisis situations. As shown in our public affairs specialist resume example, these attributes are central for inclusion in your own resume if you want to land this top communications job.
Public Affairs Specialist Advice
As a public affairs specialist for the military, you’ll serve a key role as a communications advisor and a spokesperson. You’ll need a good deal of experience and specialized training, as well as a resume that highlights why you’re the ideal person for the job. The resume examples below will help you get started on your resume. Choose from multiple designs and templates to find the resume examples that best fit your needs. Then start building your public affairs specialist resume and take the next step toward a great job.
Resume Tips for Public Affairs Specialist
In order to find jobs as a public affairs specialist, you have to take the right steps. Use these tips to make your job search easier:
1. Make a spreadsheet. Being organized from the start will help you keep track of where you have applied to, what companies you have heard back from, what you have learned about the job market and what companies you are still waiting to hear from. You can also come up with other organization strategies.
2. Research different companies. Sometimes it may seem like the entire interview process is meant to help the hiring manager figure out if you are a good candidate. Really you should be trying to figure out if the company is a good fit for your life too.
3. Look for opportunities. The only way you are going to find a new job is by looking. Read online job posting sites, go to the company website, use social media, read the newspaper, go to job fairs and go to career centers.
4. Learn more from your network. Your network is a great tool to use to find out about job possibilities, but your network can help you do more than that. You can perform an informational interview to learn about a new industry, get information on the hiring process and find out more about new companies.
5. Follow up on leads. One of the most important aspects of your job search is how you follow up on leads. No matter if you just had your first contact or if you finished your second interview, you should always make sure to get in touch with hiring managers. This shows them that you are serious about wanting a job.
Public Affairs Specialist Job Seeking Tips
One of the most important tools you can use as you search for jobs as a public affairs specialist is your resume. Use these tips to make sure you have the right focus:
1. Focus on format. Create standout headers, use white space, incorporate bullet points and employ the table tool.
2. Focus on content. Try to include information about your experience, skills and personality traits throughout your resume.
3. Focus on order. You want to present you information in a way that makes sense, and in a way that is important.
4. Focus on the reader. You should revamp your resume every time you apply to a new job, so you can focus on that specific employer and use keywords related to the job in question.
5. Focus on professional information. As you focus on your information, you want to avoid personal data, such as your religious or political views.
No Experience Public Affairs Specialist Resume
There are plenty of opportunities to land a Public Affairs Specialist job position, but it won’t just be handed to you. Crafting a Public Affairs Specialist resume that catches the attention of hiring managers is paramount to getting the job, and LiveCareer is here to help you stand out from the competition.