Table of Contents
A well-written and eye-catching resume describing your relevant expertise, talents, and achievements is the ideal way to quickly catch the attention of hiring managers and recruiters who have just a few seconds to review your application. We will show you how to craft an engaging resume like the one pictured with our banking and financial services resume template for Word. This guide is designed to help you understand how to address the most important parts of your banking and financial services resume, including the summary statement, skills, work history, and education sections.
Writing Your Summary Statement
A compelling summary statement can persuade potential employers to consider your application. Use phrases, language, and keywords from the job description that match your talents to draft a few bullet points or sentences. Make sure the content includes your professional title, top two or three qualifications, and related achievements and expertise. Using our banking and financial services resume template for Word can help you draft an outstanding summary statement similar to one of the following, and possibly land you an interview:
Summary Statement Example 1:
Results-oriented banking professional with over 12 years’ experience in increasingly responsible positions. Top performer with proven track record of consistently exceeding customer expectations and sales goals. Team player with solid verbal and written communication skills.
Summary Statement Example 2:
• Over 20 years of experience as a financial services professional
• Detail-oriented, analytical, dedicated, and highly focused banking executive
• Persuasive and informative presenter with high ability to identify needs and motivate staff
Summary Statement Example 3:
• Excellent and energetic team leader with more than 10 years’ expertise
• Adept at communicating complex fiscal processes and principles to clients and various professionals
• Exceptional financial and management skills to supervise retail banking teams using a professional and cordial approach
Summary Statement Example 4:
• Professional financial service representative with more than 12 years of banking experience
• Proven record of integrity, productivity, and accuracy
• Possesses in-depth knowledge of account ownership and banking regulations
Writing Your Skills Section
Listing skills on your resume is the ideal opportunity to show potential employers your professional skills at a just a glance. When you are invited to an interview, it is your chance to discuss your most relevant qualifications for the job, so make sure you incorporate them into your list. Use our suggestions for best practices to deliver a quality skills section:
• Keep each skill you list brief and succinct.
• Borrow language, phrases, and keywords from the posting.
• List between five and seven bullet points relevant to the targeted position and industry.
Select choices from our list of experiences when completing your banking and financial services resume template for Word:
• Proficiency for understanding the complexities of the financial planning industry
• Adept at preparing customer presentations
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Exceptional marketing and sales expertise
• Ability to educate customers on best options for banking products
• Strategic planning and marketing expertise with qualifications in training and management
• Supervisory and management expertise
Writing Your Work History Section
The work history section shows your previous employment, responsibilities, and achievements. When listing accomplishments, include metrics if possible and add action verbs to highlight relevant background information. Use our banking and financial services resume template for Word and the following guidelines as examples for this important part of your resume:
Business Development Officer, Vice President at First Bank / 2013 Ð Present / NYC
• Cultivate existing and new client relationships to maintain 93% retention rate.
• Manage all regulatory reporting for Broker-Dealer compliance with FINRA and SEC regulations.
Private Banking Manager at Capital Eastern Bank / 2012 Ð 2013 / NYC
• Successfully promote project management positions in private equity management for a team of 25 analysts.
• Supervise compliance with legal rules and regulations to manage large deposits accurately.
Assistant Vice President at PB Financial Services / 2011 Ð 2012 / NYC
• Over 20 years’ experience in regulatory and financial institutions.
• Designed structures for reducing credit card balances.
• Created statistical charts and reports to assist senior management with decision-making processes.
Banking Officer at HG Banking Services / 2009 Ð 2011 / NYC
• Planned, organized, and controlled finances for private wealth clients.
• Created strategies to streamline internal procedures between branches resulting in 25% increase in productivity.
Writing Your Education Section
Your educational history provides hiring managers with a quick look at your career as well as a hint at your future potential. Make sure to incorporate these best practices in this section.
• List seminars and training in chronological order.
• Place your highest level of education first.
• Unless you are a recent graduate, you do not need to include your GPA.
Use our banking and financial services resume template for Word that follows as a guideline.
Master of Business Administration / 2009
Columbia University / Finance / 2007 Ð 2009
Bachelor of Arts / Finance / 2004 Ð 2007
Credit Development Program / Fiduciary Banking / 2007