Medical laboratory technologist skilled at precise documentation, isolating bacteria and processing and handling clinical specimens specifically for isolating Mycobacterium tuberculosis, or any species of Mycobacterium.
1. Performs and interprets routine complex, and sophisticated tests for isolation, identification, and antimicrobial susceptibility of mycobacteria.
2. Plans, organizes, delegates, and supervises the work of the personnel in the Mycobacteriology Section; plans the work schedule; selects tests to be performed on specimens after reviewing information submitted with specimens; supervises the performance of all tests and procedures in the Section used to isolate and identify mycobacteria and determine their susceptibility to drugs. Prepares work schedules for needed weekend/ holiday work or on -call duty; assists Division Director in preparation of budget requests; advises Division Director of staffing needs for Section.
3. Supervises test reporting and keeps records relating to the work of the Section; reviews test results for accuracy and insures that work is reported as promptly as possible; prepares the Section's annual report; prepares reports as requested; designs forms used in Section. Implements and supervises quality control and safety measures adopted by the Bureau; monitors Section for safety hazards and sees that identified hazards are eliminated; insures that equipment is kept in working order.
4. Consults with physicians and other persons outside the agency by telephone, letters, and memos concerning interpretation of test results, tests available, and additional information needed for testing.
5. Supervises training relating to the Section; directs the orientation and training of new employees; directs bench training in Section; supervises and organized the updating of the SOP manual of the Section; advises Division Director on training needs of Section personnel. Evaluates the work performance of personnel in the Section; performs periodic work performance evaluations on each employee in the Section; counsels employees on improving work performance; writes job descriptions for needed positions; establishes performance standards for each job in the Section.
6. Oversees inventory of reagents, equipment and supplies used in the Section; prepares quarterly orders and special orders as needed, delegates requisition of routine equipment and supplies; keeps informed of new equipment and diagnostic materials, evaluates their application and performance and discusses purchase of eqipment or adoption of procedure with Division director
1. Serves as assistant Supervisor. Supervises staff when supervisor is absent. Assists in training staff. Assists in coordinating Mycobacteriology Laboratory activities with those of the Division of Tuberculosis Control.
2. Follows Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and special protocols. Decontaminates, concentrates, and inoculates a variety of clinical specimens for the isolation of mycobacteria. Uses a variety of solid and broth media for mycobacteria isolation and mycobacteria susceptibility testing. Prepares specimens smears, stains smears, microscopically examines and interprets smear examinations and reports results. Performs work using Biosafety Level 3 practices, to include wearing a respirator and using a biological safety cabinet.
3.Operates, maintains, calibrates, and troubleshoots highly complex microbiology instrument systems to include: The BACTEC 460 System, the Organon Teknika MB/BacT240 System, the Beckman Gold High Performance Liquid Chromatography System, the Gen-Probe MTB and MAC identification systems, and the Gen-Probe MTD Nucleic Acid Amplification test kit system. Interprets and reports test results.
4. Performs highly complex, manual, biochemical tests on isolates when indicated. Interprets results to correctly identify the isolate phenotypically using advanced identification keys.
5. Performs Quality Control testing and Quality Assurance activities. Correctly interprets testing and activity outcomes. Uses advanced professional knowlege, skills, amd abilities to independently take the necessary corrective actions when indicated.
6. Evaluates new laboratory tests and instrument systems. Performs validation and verification studies as needed. Participates in clinical investigation studies by providing abloratory technical support. Provided technical consultation to clinicians.
1. Performs routine concentration and inoculation techniques for the recovery of Mycobacterium tuberculosis, includeing the inoculation of a Bactec 460 system, and prepares smears for staining.
2. Monitors and interprets growth of organisms recovered from the BACTEC 460 System. Read and record BACTEC 460 results daily as required.
3. Set up and interpret BACTEC 460 susceptibility tests in all new Mycobaacterium tuberculosis patients. Determine if growth is sufficient for accurate susceptibility testing.
4. Monitor and interpret the growth of cultures for the purpose of performing the complex procedures to prepare methyl derivatives of the mycolic acids for High Performance Liquid Chromatography.
5. Stain, examine, interpret and quantitates the result of smears for Mycobacterium tuberculosis.
6. Assists the section supervisor in training of new personnel or provides bench training. Participates as needed in proficiency testing programs and in educational presentations.
Performed HIV, Hepatitis, GC, Chlamydia, Herpes, Influenza, and Rabies testing
Worked in the Microbiology Laboratory. TB experience also
Companies Worked For:
Job Titles Held:
© 2019, Bold Limited. All rights reserved.