Thank you for taking the time to read my resume.
I am a highly motivated individual, and a licensed Third Mate Unlimited with a strong foundation of ocean-going experience, and excellent small inspected passenger ferry experience. My studies also include a Bachelors in Marine Environmental Science with a Minor in Biology. I have a strong work ethic and a highly flexible schedule. In terms of adversity, people would describe me as stubborn- refusing to give up and accept defeat, yet reasonable and well-tempered. My experience with SUNY Maritime and NYC Ferry has given me great familiarity with New York Harbor and Large Vessel operations, and my studies in environmental science has given me aptitude with field work and biology.
I have strong managerial experience, am aptly ready to learn new skills and have a strong foundation to build upon.
Skills /credentials are the following;
USCG Third Mate Unlimited License
Document Number: USA000450168
Reference Number: 5368366
1. STCW Radar Unlimited
2. STCW Basic safety/Survival
3. STCW Med care and Red-Cross CPR/First-aid Adult/Child
4. STCW Morse Code Operator
5. STCW Bridge Resource Management Certification
6. Inland/Near-Coastal Unlimited Certified
7. Officer in Charge of Navigation Watch (OICNW)
8. Able Seaman Unlimited
9. Rating forming part of a Navigational Watch (RFPNW)
10. Proficiency in survival Craft and rescue boats other than fast rescue boats
11. Basic oil and chemical tanker operation
12. STCW Basic and Advanced Firefighting
13. Vessel Security Officer certified
14. Certified Wiper
15. STCW Lifeboatman
16. Tankerman assistant limited to Dangerous Liquid Cargo (DL)
17. Line handling
18. Survival equipment proficiency (EPIRB, SART)
19. Navigational/Comm Instruments (ECDIS/EIS, AIS, Radios)
20. Licensed GMDSS operator, GMDSS and Radio proficiency
21. Boat handling of an inboard turning, 50/75 meter, 95/98 ton Catamaran fast ferry
22. Ship nomenclature
1. At times, taking over for the Captain and completing route "loops." For example, the Soundview route which consists of Pier 11 Wall Street, East 34th Street, East 90th Street, Soundview Classon Point and then back again through heavy vessel traffic and strong currents.
2. Acting as leader/supervisor for a deck crew of up to five other Deckhands, making sure vessel operations are being completed during service such as Engine Room checks and safe boarding.
3. Training new Deckhands
4. At times, filling out the log book.
5. Security Screenings in accordance with CFR 105.255
6. Working with the Captain during USCG inspections, such as conducting drills and tests with Coast Guard inspectors.
7. Black Water discharges, vessel cleaning inline with 46 CFR § 56.50-95.
8. Please see "Deckhand" for skills which I still currently use in this job position.
My responsibilities and skills as a Senior Deckhand with NYC Ferry will greatly contribute to your company, these responsibilities are as follows
1. Aiding the Captain with navigation during times of restricted visibility.
2. Interacting with customers and keeping accurate on/off counts during the boarding process
3. Maintaining cleanliness throughout the vessel
4. Checking the Engine Rooms for abnormalities- Reporting, diagnosing and correcting any found. This required familiarity with the engine and electrical systems.
5. Providing lookout in all weather conditions
6. Coordination between dock workers and crew members to ensure effective and safe boarding of passengers.Knowledge of the effects of current and wind on the vessel is vital in planning ahead, stopping the boarding process ahead of time before serious rolling occurs.
7. Inventory stock
8. Man overboard rescue, respond and quell other emergencies (fire, MOB, injury, emergency steering, medical emergencies.)
9. Rafting/tying the ferry after the work day
10. Proper transition of vessel generators to shore power connection during shutdown procedures, and vice-versa for start-up.
11. Proper engine shutdown/start-up procedures
As a Deck Cadet at SUNY Maritime College, I completed the Deck License program over the course of four and a half years. As a Cadet, I obtained the skills needed to become a licensed Third Mate Unlimited.
I have 360.5 recorded sea days on the TS Empire State VI, a converted C4-S-1U 17,273 ton displacement vessel.
Examples of tasks performed on the TS Empire State VI included;
1. Deck maintenance (removing rust)
3. Being put in charge of, at times, over a dozen underclassmen
4. Helmsman time
5. Celestial and Terrestrial Navigation
6. Anchoring procedures
7. Mooring and Cargo Operations
8. Basic Steam Engine familiarity
9. Marine Firefighting drills
Document Serial Number- USA000450168
Reference Number- 5368366
Resumes, and other information uploaded or provided by the user, are considered User Content governed by our Terms & Conditions. As such, it is not owned by us, and it is the user who retains ownership over such content.
Many factors go into creating a strong resume. Here are a few tweaks that could improve the score of this resume:
Job Titles Held: