Talented Executive Director offering proven background in a nonprofit business settings driving organizational change at operational levels. Demonstrated leadership, planning, and problem-solving abilities focused on delivering robust, performance-oriented strategies that foster mission advancement by increasing employee development, effectiveness of key programs, and efficiency in fiscal management.
- Effectively and efficiently lead the organization by guiding forty-plus employees stationed in its Administrative Office, Family Medicine Clinc, and remote community-based locations to move the organization's mission forward while keeping staff adequately informed, trained, and developed.
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors, took the helm of strategic planning & supplemental work plans; post-Board approval executed the implementation of those plans while ensuring the programmatic and fiscal objectives were accomplished.
- Created a mission statement, vision statement, and strategic plan specifically for the executive leadership that was partnered with the implementation of the leadership-focused core values all of which provided my executive team with executive-level-focused guidance that was directly aligned with the organization's overall mission & vision statements, strategic plan, workplace culture, and core values.
- Successfully reorganized the organization in its entirety with reassigned positions for forty-plus employees and placing them into purposeful positions within eight newly established departments without exiting employees. This includes the relocation of the Family Medicine Clinic to a more adequate health care providing office and ensured contractual negotiations resulted in mutually-agreed-to leasing terms between owner and tenant; as well as meeting the contractual terms of the organization's main source of funding from the federal Human Resources & Human Services (HRSA) agency.
- Successful recruitment of key staff to fill vacant employee and contracted positions such as: Traditional Hawaiian Healing Ho'oponopono Practitioner, Human Resources Specialist, Accountant, Family Medicine physician, and General Medicine physician as well as successful reassignment of selected employees into executive level roles such as department leads.
- Developed and executed a new meaningful direction for the organization that was supported by a new workplace identity and a new set of core values.
- Reevaluated, Implemented and monitored organizational policies approved by the Board of Directors that allowed proper management of fiscal, risk management, quality improvement, compliance, human resources, information technology, records, data, and audit functions.
- Created an employee-teamed Kipuka Committee that was tasked with identifying and filling gaps in operations within a four month timeline to smoothen out operations in the midst of the change over to my leadership as .
0a number of high priority tasks were falling through the cracks under the CFO's responsibility; successful recovery at 100%.1- Included in this initiative was a Vision 2020 all-staff
- Held accountability for proper management of the organization's finances which included successful results in the development of the annual operating budget and the identifying and implementation of six new revenue streams.
- Upon request, provided the Board of Directors with reporting that accurately reflected the fiscal health of the organization and programmatic data.
Community Outreach Coordinator I October 2013 - September 2015
Community Outreach Coordinator III October 2015 - February 2019
- Lead and Managed the OHA East Hawaii Hilo Resource Center and staff to ensure the efficiency and effectiveness of the region's Native Hawaiian community and engage the necessary stakeholders to facilitate discussions that produced the action-steps needed to better the living conditions of the island's Native Hawaiian residents residing in the East Hawaii region.
- Tasked with being OHA's East Hawaii lead and liaison between the region's Native Hawaiian community and OHA's administration & Board of Trustees.
- Disseminated OHA programming and announcements to the beneficiaries in assigned region.
- Engaged and mobilized East Hawaii's Native Hawaiian residents to support OHA initiatives.
- Provided a high level of ambiguity in identifying Native Hawaiian focused activities for OHA to support and ensured the support given aligned with the agency's strategic priorities.
-Created or utilized already established synergy around Native Hawaiian holidays and events to execute OHA branded activities that advance the agency's mission; including the coordination and implementation of a series of OHA's I Mana Ka Lahui program ensuring each was designed to empower OHA beneficiaries to obtain economic self-sufficiency and overall self-sustainability.
· Attended and monitored Native Hawaiian-focused meetings, conferences, town-halls, and other activities, to identify key issues and reported an assessment that included recommendations to successfully address those issues to OHA's Oahu-based administration and Board of Trustees.
- Identified social determinants, social-economic related gaps and or social barriers that have a direct impact on the quality of life of the region's Native Hawaiian community and engage the necessary stakeholders in an effort facilitate the action-steps needed to better the living conditions of the OHA beneficiaries residing in assigned region.
- Coordinated the two-day annual island visit of OHA's Board of Trustees to meaningfully and purposefully execute the respective year's community meeting and the following day's trustee meeting that included: securing the venue, catering for 200+ attendees, and taking full responsibility of setting the agenda that included and securing the key community leaders .
- Initiated and drove a disaster relief and recovery initiative that successfully resulted in the agency's first disaster support programming called OHA's 2014 Lava Aid program and OHA's 2018 Lava Disaster Relief program for the June 27th of 2014 flow and the May 3rd of 2018 lava flows; respectively. The two programs brought $800,000 to Hawaii Island to support the Native Hawaiian community in the district of Puna who were impacted by the volcanic activity. The 2018 program expanded to Kauai Island to include offering support to Native Hawaiian residents who were impacted by the island's 2018 flood.
- Due to the OHA East Hawaii office's Lava Aid programs the Board of Trustees established funding for OHA's first ever on-going and state-wide Disaster/Emergency Assistance program.
Development Coordinator April 2011 - March 2012
Senior Development Specialist April 2012 - May 2013
- Provided grant proposal guidance, development and editing assistance.
- Research and identified funding sources.
- Applied for grant funding through assigned grant funding agencies, organizations, foundations, and private funders with successful outcomes.
- Researched, wrote, and provided analytical assessments on an array of simultaneous projects ranging from Federally Qualified Health Center needs to community-based initiatives; included securing funds to support program services, expanding organizational capacity, and executing capital improvement initiatives.
- Built an extensive knowledge of federal, state and private grant processes, fiscal procedures, and budget construction.
- Tasked with reporting requirements for assigned grant funding accounts.
- Responsible for fundraising efforts to include direct mail campaigns, individual giving, major gifts, corporate sponsorships, and special events as determined by strategic mapping.
- Responsible for communication and marketing efforts of the agency to support both digital and print marketing efforts.
- Created and executed digital and print communications to promote the needs of the agency that stayed within budgetary requirements as determined by strategic mapping.
- Developed and sustained a strong and meaningful network of community partners and stakeholders to advance agency's mission.
- Key staff member who assisted the Director of Development with all special event efforts related to annual gala, and other events as determined by agency's strategic mapping.
- Responsible for setting strategic budgetary mapping.
Program & Development Associate- Western Region March 2005 - April 2007
Program Assistant- Headquarters March 2007 - April 2008
Manager of Program Services March 2008 - November 2010
- Developed, executed, and maintained organization's volunteer program used in regional offices and chapters throughout the Nation and mimicked by international affiliates in the UK, Australia, and Japan.
- Developed, implemented, and managed program delivery in assigned cities: San Francisco and Las Vegas.
- Hire, trained, and managed Great Escape Coordinators (GEC) in assigned cities as determined by expansion plan.
- Provided guidance and support of the regional GEC through regular communications including reviewing and approving regular GEC reporting.
- Executed site visits of Great Escape events in each assigned city; completed performance reviews, the goal setting, and quality improvement assessments.
- Developed and oversaw annual program plan to ensure programming met organization's standards.
- Assumed direct responsibility for the provision of monthly Great Escapes in assigned cities, including the solicitation of monetary and in-kind donations for these events.
- Built and managed relationships with corporate partners including business plan management for the organization's Toys R Us Sites, Mad Science events, Build-A-Bear workshops, CBRE Richard Ellis Party-In-A-Box program, Nintendo of America Fun Centers units, and Dell PC Pals laptops accounts.
Kanaka O Puna | Community Affiliate- Men of Pa'a Program | October 2015 - Present
- Strategic Planning
- Grant Management
- Community Partner Engagement & Networking
Hawaiian Civic Club of Laupahoehoe | Vice President | September 2016 - Present
- Capacity Building
- Community Advocacy, Improvement, and Development
- Grant Writing
- Legislative Initiatives
Big Island Substance Abuse Council | Grant Writer and Community Advocate | October 2018 - July 2019
- Grant Writing, Capital Improvement
Hui Malama Ola Na Oiwi | Board of Directors- Secretary | October 2017 - July 2019
- Board Governance
- Board Planning Committee
-Board Training and Development
Resumes, and other information uploaded or provided by the user, are considered User Content governed by our Terms & Conditions. As such, it is not owned by us, and it is the user who retains ownership over such content.
Companies Worked For:
Job Titles Held: