Accomplished Communications and Community Relations Specialist with extensive event planning and management experience, including ten-plus years' serving as senior advisor to political and nonprofit leadership. Superior at written and oral communications. Demonstrated ability to build public and media awareness of events, organizations and individuals; develop communications plans and create strategic alliances between community organizations and political leadership. Outstanding record of cultivating relationships with external partners and stakeholders resulting in access to programs and resources and the development of mutually beneficial partnerships. Extensive experience as media liaison, developing diverse array of communications materials and directing community outreach for mayors, legislators, successful campaigns and nonprofits. Substantial experience as Independent Communications Consultant. Skilled at constituent relations and resource development. Proficient at managing people and multiple high-priority projects simultaneously. Adept at organizing. Meticulous attention to detail. Dedicated to creating growth that empowers organizations and communities. Extensive experience working independently, planning strategically and managing efficiently.
· Written and Oral Communications
· Strategic Communications
· Media Relations
· Project Management
· Strategic Planning and Development
· Outreach to Mainstream and Diverse Communities
· Partnership Development and Team Building
· Senior Advisor to mayor of one of Long Island's most ethnically diverse communities. Advocated for key policies and initiatives that benefited some 70K-plus residents.
· Mayor's primary liaison with community's senior leadership and dozens of external stakeholders, including legislators, media, business, education, civic and faith leaders. Outreached to stakeholders and engaged in partnerships.
· Managed constituent inquiries and complaints and ensured departmental responsiveness across ten departments; helped resolve an average of 5K complaints annually.
· Developed pipeline with Adelphi University that led to the creation of a My Brother's Keeper STEP (Science and Technology Entry) Program for low-income boys at the university in conjunction with the President's My Brother's KeeperChallenge.
· Promoted programs and initiatives. Built public, stakeholder and media awareness of village programs and initiatives.
· Implemented accountability measures that quadrupled mayoral office and external departments' responsiveness.
· Developed and organized My Brother's Keeper Call to Action Summit. Summit engaged all essential community stakeholders, including Attorney General's Office, award-winning educators, law enforcement, civic organizations and workforce development agencies to address working together to advance youth success.
· Organized initiatives in response to community need, including the Cleanup Hempstead Initiative engaging the entire community and the Excellence in Entrepreneurship Workshop targeted to women and minority small business owners.
· Spearheaded development of website video tour book that highlighted village's economic, cultural and real estate
development. Video served as economic development and PR tool; had a production cost of $35K but cost village zero.
· Wrote and developed media materials targeted to 70K-plus residents. Wrote and edited mayoral column distributed to 4 newspapers 50 weeks a year; reached 200K readers. Directed mayoral calendar. Managed website; improved navigability and appearance.
· Organized State of the Village Address, Stop-the-Violence Rallies, forums and cultural events.
· Communications and Community Relations Consultant with successful record of providing services to broad cross- section of organizations, including Learn NY (education advocacy group); National Urban League; Black Equity Alliance (nonprofit advocating for African American economic development); and CACCI (Caribbean American Chamber of Commerce & Industry).
· Provided media and community outreach for successful Mayoral Control of NYC Schools' Campaign underwritten by Mayor Michael Bloomberg. Engaged parents in five boroughs and built support for centralized control of 3 million- student school system.
· Developed messaging and successfully organized historically under-counted North Brooklyn's Census 2010 community
registration, concentrating on African American, Latino and Caribbean residents. Census targeted 300K residents; resulted in higher count and greater federal funding.
· Outreached to local communities and media; built support for initiatives beneficial to vulnerable communities; wrote
reports on workforce-training and initiatives promoting collaboration between police and communities of color.
· Acted as interim media relations director for national office of one of the nation's most highly respected civil rights organizations, with 95 affiliates in 35 states.
· Advisor to two NUL presidents, as well as senior executives.
· Served as spokesperson and secured media interviews with local and national media.
· Cultivated partnerships with Fortune 500 companies in support of academic achievement, Read and Rise and other education initiatives.
· Managed numerous communications projects and project partners.
· Pitched and placed stories in dozens of print and broadcast media outlets, ensuring consistent delivery of NUL message to 2-million constituents and nation-at-large.
· Developed long-term strategic communications' plans for organization's development and annual conference targeting 10,000 attendees; oversaw communications' projects that strengthened corporate partnerships.
· Wrote post-project report securing $1 million grant from Federal Highway Administration and Department of Transportation for pilot workforce development project.
Resumes, and other information uploaded or provided by the user, are considered User Content governed by our Terms & Conditions. As such, it is not owned by us, and it is the user who retains ownership over such content.
Many factors go into creating a strong resume. Here are a few tweaks that could improve the score of this resume:
Job Titles Held: