David Robson is an operationally-focused Chief Financial Officer and strategic partner to CEOs, Executive Teams, and Boards. He is adept at finding opportunities and leading the charge for revenue growth, advancing profitability, and people development. Through a collaborative style and an intellectually curious mindset, David applies finance-led business analytics and continuous process improvement. He has a solid track record of delivering positive results in a wide range of operating environments, which include complex multi-billion-dollar public entities, PE-backed companies, and start-ups that experienced rapid change with opportunities for growth and transformation. He successfully completed numerous M&A transactions, strategic divestitures, fundraising, debt restructuring, Go-to-Market strategies, and IPO readiness. David is known for mentoring, building, and retaining high-performing cross-functional teams. Under his leadership, finance organizations simplify complex concepts and systems to make them easy to understand as well as deliver relevant, accurate, and actionable insight that enables executives to make timely decisions and improve results. He forms environments of open communication and dialog that creates strong, trusted relationships with senior management and boards. David leads investor relations, strategic planning, business forecasting, and technology development. David challenges the status quo while gaining buy-in from others when a new direction or idea needs to be implemented. He thrives in productively competitive environments where people want to win, have fun, achieve growth, and increase profitability. Most recently, David served as the Chief Financial Officer of Farmer Brothers overseeing finance, IT, and M&A. Farmer Brothers is a $600M publicly traded consumer products company specializing in the manufacture and distribution of coffees, teas, and spices.
LEADERSHIP & BUSINESS ENTITY
IR & BOARD RELATIONS
FINANCE BANKING LIQUIDITY
$600M publicly traded food and beverage consumer products company (NASDAQ: FARM); launched a state-of-the-art world-class LEED-certified facility that achieved revenue growth of 9.5% in two years.
Recruited by CEO to act as the “financial window” into the business, lead acquisition activities, and identify operational improvements as well as build out a top-notch 100+ person finance, IT, and M&A team.
Capital Structure | M&A
• Renegotiated credit facility; increased covenant light LOC by $95M at a 4% lower interest rate
• Filed the company's first shelf registration of $100M; enabled access to capital markets
• Divested a non-strategic declining division; received $12M in cash and negotiated a 3-year long-term
supply agreement with a distributor which increased revenue by $11M
• Led due diligence and integration activities for the acquisition of a significant competitor; delivered
$16M in synergies and $70M in incremental revenue on time and under budget
Investor Relations | Systems
• Restructured IR; simplified the company's story, investor guidance, and strategic initiatives
• Revamped dashboards and implemented BI tools; delivered actionable real-time data and insight
enabling reduced A/R by $23M, inventory by $33M, maintenance CAPX by $5M, and debt by $40M
Staffing | Talent | Cost Savings | Efficiency
• Built FP&A department that fostered a collaborative environment between finance and operations;
retained and recruited a high-caliber team that provided financial guidance and support
• Hired CIO and M&A team within 3-months of joining; revamped BI tools and completed $70M acquisition
• Transitioned finance and IT from locked-door to open-door BU; improved collaboration and productivity
• Nurtured a culture of customer service; delivered higher engagement scores and elevated service levels
• Implemented financial plan to optimize delivery network; eliminated 60 routes which saved $6M YoY
• Re-engineered close process; reduced time to deliver monthly financial results from 40 to 11 days
• Achieved consensus on top 10 critical business reports; ensured BU visibility and accountability
• Standardized daily and weekly KPI flash reporting; enabled real-time companywide decision making
• Eliminated control deficiencies; strengthened credibility with external auditors and stakeholders
$300M PE-owned experiential retailer (L. Catterton Portfolio Co.); awarded National Retail Federation's Top Retail Disruptors, EY's Entrepreneur of the Year, and Forbes List of Most Promising Companies.
Recruited by the CEO to implement financial and operational infrastructures to enable the company to achieve hyper-growth and built a team of 40+ in finance, merchandising, and planning.
Strategy | Planning
• Partnered with CEO to develop strategies, processes, and operating priorities to curate the finest
products and deliver exceptional customer experience; accelerated revenue and achieved a 4.6/5 rating
• Opened 100K+ sq. ft. of new retail space and 3 distribution centers; doubled revenue in 24-months
• Implemented Data warehouse System; delivered predicted analytics for improved decision making
• Spearheaded IPO readiness strategy; designed and implemented short and long-term plans for IPO
Capital & Staffing Structure
• Renegotiated banking agreements to support expansion plans; added $23M in liquidity
• Raised multiple rounds of equity; achieved $45M in new capital that was oversubscribed
• Built world-class finance and merchandising teams; enabled positive results in more complex
environments, deepened bench strength, and provided essential support through hyper-growth
Reporting | Process | Analysis
• Developed operating models and KPI metrics for IPO; revenue doubled and retail space tripled
• Re-imagined new dashboards; installed new data-warehouse reducing analysis from days to on-demand
• Redesigned reporting process; met PE expectations and lowered monthly financial packages by 20 days
$300M leading global internet retailer (NASDAQ: PRTS); offered 2M+ unique worldwide products.
Hired to oversee a 75-person finance, purchasing, and planning team located in the US and overseas.
Capital Structure | Relationship Management
• Raised $50M+ through debt and equity
• Negotiated 3x increase in bank credit; lowered LIBOR rate from +2.5% to +1.5% with fewer covenants
• Built trusted relationships with investors and auditors; encouraged stable stock price with fewer surprises
Cost Reduction & Inventory Management
• Established rebate program on under-performing SKUs; lifted gross margin and improved GMROI by 17%
• Restaffed the Purchasing Department and acquired stronger talent at a lower cost; saved $250K YoY
• Revamped replenishment system; raised in-stock positions 10%+ and reduced inventory levels by 12%
$2.1B PE-owned discount department store (Sun Capital and Cerberus); 175 locations in 7 western states.
Hired as SVP of Finance and promoted to EVP, CAO & CFO in one year; managed a staff of 150+.
Strategy | Capital Structure
• Spearheaded E-commerce website launch; built a team of ~15 to carry out the implementation process
• Developed and marketed reorganization plan; raised $90M and secured DIP financing
Cost Savings | Operational Efficiency
• Implemented ROI modeling and scenario analysis; enhanced decision-making and returns
• Partnered with CMO; reduced overall spend from 6.8% to 5% of sales with limited impact to revenue
• Reorganized the HR organization; reduced department's annual budget by 35%
• Identified and closed 26 under-performing stores; freed up working capital and improved profitability
• Reworked safety stock methodology; improved product available for sale by 9% on reduced inventory
Executive Sponsor & Speaker | USC | CA Lutheran University Business School | TCU MBA Program
Board Member | Northwestern Metroport Chamber of Commerce
Resumes, and other information uploaded or provided by the user, are considered User Content governed by our Terms & Conditions. As such, it is not owned by us, and it is the user who retains ownership over such content.
Companies Worked For:
Job Titles Held: