Use this professional created Dairy Farmer job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Dairy farmers works with cows (or rarely, other animals) to produce milk and related products. They may be responsible for caring for the animals by providing or arranging for food, shelter, or medical care. They are also often in charge of regular milking. Dairy farmers may be responsible for monitoring the cattle and facilities in order to ensure maximum production. Some dairy farms process milk on site, preparing it for sale or creating products such as butter or cheese. Many farmers have some knowledge of the creation of dairy products.
Dairy farming requires little formal education, but training is often necessary. For this reason, a job candidate with prior experience in dairy production or farm work might be desirable.
A dairy farmer job description should seek enthusiastic applicants with the ability to perform demanding physical work. Additionally, candidates who hold a valid driver’s license might be desirable.
Dairy Farmer Job Description Template
We pride ourselves on producing the best dairy products possible through maintaining healthy and happy dairy cattle on our farm. Join our team as a dairy farmer and use your animal science knowledge to care for our cattle and ensure they remain healthy and injury free. You will have the chance to work closely with our team of dairy workers to milk the cattle and keep the enclosures clean and well-maintained for a more hygienic environment. Exercise your technical skills as you maintain the farm equipment and reduce the number of repairs required. Employ your excellent communication skills as you work closely on our team and interact with veterinarians, vendors, buyers and other visitors to our farm as required.
- Monitor dairy cows for signs of potential disease to ensure that all livestock remain in optimum health and produce high-quality milk.
- Milk dairy cattle while ensuring livestock remain calm and comfortable so cattle continue to produce maximum quantities of milk.
- Weigh cows and check for any physical signs of disease or injury and provide preventative medical care as needed.
- Review the pens, buildings and other areas to ensure the areas remain hygienic to reduce the risk of injury and disease to the cattle and farm workers.
- Provide food and water to cattle and ensure that supplies remain well stocked so that the livestock never go hungry.
- Administer medications, vaccinations and other medical care and coordinate with veterinarians as needed.
- Use tools to move feed, animals and other equipment to the appropriate areas on the farm in an efficient manner.
- Maintain trucks, tractors, milking equipment and other gear to ensure they remain in working order and reduce any repair costs.
Jobs Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 18+ years of age
- 1+ years of experience in farm work, dairy work
- Ability to perform physical work
- Coursework in animal science
- Valid driver’s license and clean background check