Use this professional created Purchasing & Planning Manager job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Purchasing and planning managers are expected to coordinate the procurement of various supplies, equipment and inventory needed at a business. Managers play a role in hiring new staff members. They also attend trade shows to meet with new suppliers, draw up contracts and negotiate prices with suppliers.
The background you want to emphasize in your purchasing & planning manager job description is several years of experience working as a purchasing agent and a bachelor’s degree. A history of being able to negotiate is important.
Analytical skills are crucial because purchasing managers need to be able to weigh the pros and cons of doing business with a certain supplier. Decision-making skills are also good to have when it comes to drawing up contracts and hiring new agents.
Purchasing & Planning Manager Job Description Template
Candidates who are adept at strategizing, coordinating and planning are highly encouraged to submit an application and see if they have what it takes to become our next planning and purchasing manager. This job requires big-picture thinking and the ability to set daily workday goals, work alongside various other departments and iron out contract particulars to ensure company objectives remain on track and are completed as efficiently as possible. As you help us achieve our goals, we make sure we help you achieve yours by providing you with plenty of opportunities to learn and grow within a fair work environment where we do our best to keep employee stress to a minimum. We look forward to seeing your resume!
- Act as a company representative while negotiating contracts and supplier policies. You’ll also be expected to act as a liaison with our suppliers.
- Oversee personnel actions related to selling, purchasing, distributing and equipping our clients on a constant basis.
- Work with our financial analyst to review and complete our annual budget and update our monthly estimates as necessary.
- Manage our office support staff.
- Ensure materials and products are received on time and intact, and in the quality and at the cost agreed upon with the client.
- Take steps to make sure our inventory always remains well-stocked in order that we can successfully fulfill customer orders and maximize our investments.
- Look for opportunities to reduce cost (without compromising on quality) and improve our business model to provide better services and products to our clients.
- Draft weekly and monthly reports related to the overall cost of merchandise and the most current market conditions.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, logistics management or business
- At least three years of experience as distribution center planning manager or logistics manager
- Strong and proven communication, negotiation and contract skills
- Familiar with ERP systems
- APICS certification