Use this professional created Optician job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Opticians review prescriptions written by optometrists to give patients the proper eyewear. Opticians need to help patients pick the best glasses for their needs, repair broken frames and adjust eyewear when necessary. They also need to be able to educate individuals about how to properly handle and clean glasses.
In order to properly measure and fit glasses, opticians need to go through an apprenticeship program or earn an associate degree with coursework in eye physiology and optics. Licenses are mandatory in certain states, so you may need to specify that in your optician job description, depending on where you live.
Opticians need to be excellent communicators. They also need to be highly detailed to give patients the perfect glasses. Business acumen and dexterity are other advantageous skills.
Optician Job Description Template
Are you always following the latest trends in eyewear, and are you fascinated with the way corrective lenses work or the optical industry? If so, we may have the right job for you as an optician in our expanding optical division. The ideal person must be able to work with our large base of customers by delivering quality optical care and outstanding and friendly customer service. You must be able to assist patients with eyeglasses fittings, eyewear testing and other optical dispensing. You must also possess strong sales skills by demonstrating a high level of knowledge about our products and determining our patients’ needs for eyewear so you can recommend specific accessories or enhancements for glasses.
- Use prescription information from the doctor and the patient’s preferences, face shape and other factors to help select the appropriate pair of eyeglasses, frames and lenses.
- Give product recommendations to patients based on their vision needs and lifestyle, such as frame construction, lens material and lens coatings.
- Take accurate measurements of each patient’s face and optical details to ensure a comfortable and proper fit before ordering frames.
- Adjust new frames using optical tools or pliers to get a closer and more accurate fit on the patient’s face when the patient has problems with comfort or poor vision.
- Instruct patients on how to use contact lenses by showing them how to clean the lenses, insert them, remove them easily and properly care for contact lenses.
- Maintain a clean and visually appealing daily optical display by organizing the stock of eyeglasses, sunglasses and accessories.
- Complete additional office tasks regularly such as preparing paperwork for patient insurance payments, ordering inventory and tracking orders in the system.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Certified or licensed as an optician
- Focus on a fine attention to detail
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Experience in a retail optical department or a similar environment
- Proficiency with computers and Microsoft programs