Want to use this resume?
There are plenty of opportunities to land an Academic Advisor job position, but it won’t just be handed to you. Crafting an Academic Advisor Resume Objective that catches the attention of hiring managers is paramount to getting the job, and LiveCareer is here to help you stand out from the competition.
Skills to Put in an Academic Advisor Resume Objective
Hiring managers often spend only a few seconds on a resume, which might be just enough time to review the objective section before deciding to look at other parts of your resume or pick up the next one in the pile. Therefore, you want to include a mix of both hard and soft skills to entice the hiring manager to keep reading.
To determine which key skills to include, start by looking at the job description and pick the ones that best match your own abilities. Then, consider other skills you might have relevant to the position. When you choose which soft skills to include, pick those that are most important to the daily work of an academic advisor.
Here are some examples of both hard and soft skills that an academic advisor might include in an objective statement:
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in MS Office, learning management systems, and database programs
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Familiarity with requirements for academic programs
- Development and implementation of retention action plans
- Proficiency using Workday Student, Datatel Colleague, or other ERP software
- Transcript evaluation
- Keen analytical skills
- Good interpersonal skills
- Strong understanding of academic advising techniques, including NACADA Core Values for Academic Advising
- Excellent at public speaking
- Strong teaching skills
Academic Advisor Resume Objective
An Academic Advisor works with students to help ensure that they are on the right track for success. Academic Advisors carry a great deal of responsibility and therefore are carefully selected by employers and hiring committees. When applying for a position as an Academic Advisor, listing an objective can show employers what makes you the best candidate and why you are interested in this particular field.
What the Academic Advisor Resume Objective Should Tell Potential Employers
Because Academic Advisors work closely with students, you’ll want to express your interest in education in your objective. Other responsibilities include communication skills, computer skills, multitasking, and the ability to work well under minimal supervision. Academic Advisors help students pick their majors, choose the right classes, and set themselves up for success. Sometimes advisors work with difficult students or those who need additional assistance. Therefore, making reference to your personality can also be beneficial for this type of resume objective. No matter what you write, you’ll also want to use this space to showcase your writing abilities, as you’ll be working in an educational setting.
Sample Academic Advisor Resume Objectives
When written well, an objective has the potential to elevate your resume above the competition. While only a single sentence, the objective shows your commitment to your field. Since objectives are so short, every word must have a specific purpose in order to make the sentence flow well. Below are some sample objectives for academic advisors that you can use as a springboard for your own:
1. Academic Advisor with 10+ years of experience seeks position with ABC college in order to work with students from underrepresented demographics.
2. Education-oriented individual seeking Academic Advisor position at ABC university to offer unbiased and individual support to the student body.
3. Looking to secure a position with ABC college as an Academic Advisor to assist students transitioning to 4-year institutions.
4. Bilingual Academic Advisor searching for position at ABC college to serve native and non-native English speakers.
5. Educational professional experienced in working with non-traditional and special needs students seeking position as Academic Advisor at ABC college.
Head over to LiveCareer’s Resume Builder for more help with writing a resume objective.