Table of Contents
Resume Success Stories
Building Your Nurse Practitioner Resume with Our Builder:
Select a Resume Template
Choose Pre-Written Phrases
Download, Print and Apply
What Is a Nurse Practitioner?
Nurse practitioners (NPs) spend most of their time in clinics, hospitals and other health care centers. Calling on a combination of clinical experience and school education, these nurses focus on health promotion and diagnostic procedures. To become a licensed nurse practitioner, candidates need to complete a graduate nursing program. Although their work is primarily nursing, NPs have the authority to do many of the tasks of a licensed doctor, such as prescribe medicine and interpret lab work.
What Makes This a Great
Nurse Practitioner Resume Example?
It can be hard for any job seeker to create a resume that is both professional and informative. Our nurse practitioner resume examples create an easy pathway to success. Here are three ways our resume examples can help you write your own document:
- Expert-written content: Our resume writers compose keywords and phrases for our resume examples, like the one above, which clearly emphasize the strengths of applicants like you. Phrases like “forward-thinking in managing patient needs” draw attention to your best attributes as an NP in your professional summary, skills and work history sections.
- Resume template selection: Your selected resume template should match your personality and the institution to which you’re applying. The example above appears professional yet impactful. The medical industry is looking for workers who are confident and prepared to reach out to those they work with.
- Choice of resume format: Our example uses a combination format, emphasizing both work history and skills. This shows their modest amount of OB/GYN-related experience while displaying a host of skills that might allow them to specialize elsewhere later.
3 Nurse Practitioner Professional Summaries Examples
Your professional summary is an opportunity to showcase your NP qualifications in a brief yet memorable way. Rely on our nurse practitioner resume examples as an inspirational springboard, or use the recommendations given by our resume builder. Here are a few examples of strong, insightful professional summaries:
- Experienced nurse practitioner skilled in women’s health and adult care. Worked 6 years as a registered nurse at a local care center and graduated with a Master of Science in nursing. Expert in prescribing medicine, with exceptional bedside manner.
- Caring nurse practitioner with 12 years of experience in family health and pediatric care. Worked with infants and adolescents and expertly communicated with families and patients. Graduated from BYU with a master’s degree in nursing and received AANP certification.
- Trained nurse practitioner with specialty in neonatal health. AANP licensed nurse since 2012 with 10 years’ experience in three pediatric health care facilities and 2 years’ experience in long-term care facilities. Exceptional bedside manner and communication.
3 Nurse Practitioner Work Experience Section Examples
Explain and emphasize your experience in health care facilities, hospitals and other nurse-related environments with the work history section of your nurse practitioner resume. Use the example above as a model to mention important roles you held or skills you gained. Our resume builder can also suggest NP-specific work responsibilities, into which you can incorporate your own metrics, such as the following:
- Monitored patient health, interpreted lab tests and wrote prescriptions daily.
- Counseled and educated patients and family members while recording medical symptoms, diagnosing conditions and prescribing medicine.
- Traveled to three pediatric care facilities weekly to conduct special diagnostic tests and examine medical symptoms.
Top Skills for Your Nurse Practitioner Resume
You have many skills, but choosing the right ones for your resume might be challenging. Our examples show sought-after NP skills, and our Resume Builder offers dozens more personalized to you. Pick from among them, add your own or use a combination to enhance your nurse practitioner resume. Here are more recommendations:
- Acute care nursing
- Occupational health
- Emergency room care
- Conflict resolution
- Positive attitude
Find Your Ideal Job
Once you have built your resume, stay on top of your job search with Job Alerts. Once you sign up, we will email you when there are new nurse practitioner openings in your location.
Nurse Practitioner Plain Text Resume
Name: Sean Eagleton
Address: Burnsville, MN 55337
Phone: (555) 555-5555
Qualified Nurse Practitioner with over 12 years of experience working in hospital settings. Adept at critical care and management with training in patient education and leadership. Self-directed and solutions-oriented with fantastic communication skills. Committed to increasing the quality of patient care through top-of-the-line time management and prioritization.
Fairview Ridges Hospital Burnsville, MN
February 2016 to Current
- Perform patient physicals and compare results with established medical records to provide proper diagnosis and facilitate appropriate treatment.
- Care for patients in 110-bed unit, supporting fellow nurses in delivering outstanding treatment to patients.
- Administer care for patients after angiograms, cardiac catheterization and open heart surgery.
- Explain medications and side effects to patients, family members and caregivers, and thoroughly review physician-ordered tests.
Centennial Lakes Medical Center Bloomington, MN
November 2009 to January 2016
- Provided care for critically ill patients with traumatic injuries and life-threatening illnesses.
- Applied and removed casts, sutured soft tissue injuries, and changed dressings.
- Discussed care plans with patients and explained test results and proper use of medications.
Parqueadero Hospital Minneapolis, MN
July 2008 to October 2009
- Performed triage on all incoming patients and determined severity of injuries and illnesses.
- Kept optimal supply levels in treatment rooms, triage and other areas to meet typical patient loads.
- Taught patients how to improve lifestyle choices, dramatically reducing chance of symptom recurrence.
- Health exams
- Strong clinical judgement
- Prescribing medications
- Lab tests
- Family planning exams
- Patient management
- Strong communication
- Treatment planning
- Acute care expertise
Master of Science in Nursing
University of Minnesota – Twin Cities Minneapolis, MN
Bachelor of Science Nursing
University of Wisconsin – Madison Madison, WI
Nurse Practitioner FAQs
Do nurse practitioners have to take boards?
To become licensed, a nurse practitioner needs to graduate from a nursing program. NPs have the option of focusing on a specific type of nursing, such as pediatrics or family health. After completion of the program, the nurse must seek national certification by requesting review from a state board. Some certifications require an examination for licensure.
How do you list AANP certification on a resume?
An American Academy of Nurse Practitioners certification qualifies you as a nurse practitioner. You can include this in your professional summary as well as your education or achievement section. Obtain this certification with the online AANP application tools by completing an exam. Processing time for an application can take as little as three to six weeks.
What are the opportunities of advancement for a nurse practitioner?
Nurse practitioners are well-qualified nurses and are experts in health promotion, procedures and methods. Most nurse practitioners specialize in a specific type of nursing and can pursue further careers in their area of expertise. Opportunities for advancement include administrative roles in health care or NPs can consider teaching prospects.