Table of Contents
Resume Success Stories
Building Your Accountant Resume with Our Builder:
Select a Resume Template
Choose Pre-Written Phrases
Download, Print and Apply
What Is an Accountant?
While you may assume that tax preparation is the main job responsibility of an accountant, organizations in virtually every industry rely on these roles to examine financial statements, inspect accounting systems and find ways to reduce costs and enhance revenues. Accountants typically collaborate with other members of the finance department but must also have the skills to report to organization managers on a regular basis. People in the accounting industry have many different career options. You can seek a job as a public, management or government accountant, or even as an internal or external auditor.
What Makes This a Great
Accountant Resume Example?
Our accountant resume examples are written by certified resume writers who know what hiring managers look for in top candidates. Study them as you write your own. Here are a few benefits of using our examples:
- Professionally-written content. This accountant resume example is effective because it contains many skills and keywords recruiters look for, such as QuickBooks, bookkeeping and cash-flow analysis. Identifying these sought-after keywords is critical to getting noticed. Using our builder allows you to access this pre-written content, crafted by our certified resume writers, as you write your resume.
- Helps you choose a resume format. By looking through our accountant resume examples, you learn how to best showcase your skills, certifications and experience by choosing the appropriate format. Choose your resume format based on your level of professional experience. The combination format, like the example above, highlights the job seeker’s skills and professional experience first and places his education at the bottom. This is a great format for a mid-career professional. Entry-level or senior-level applicants might choose a different resume format to better show off their credentials.
- Shows appropriate resume templates. Because accounting is a conservative industry, the resume template you choose should reflect a traditional and professional attitude. Like the sample above, keep things simple and pick a template that offers clean lines and lots of white space to ensure readability. Our builder offers a selection of resume templates based on your job title.
3 Accountant Professional Summary Examples
The professional summary is one of the most important parts of any resume since it is the first section that most hiring managers read. You have one chance to succinctly present your most marketable skills and experience to make the case that you deserve an interview. Our Resume Builder offers customizable summaries that our team of certified resume experts crafted for accountants.
Here are three examples of professional summaries that may help your accountant resume stand out from other applicants:
- Detail-oriented, efficient and organized professional with 12-years of experience in accounting and financial systems. Possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills to effectively make sound decisions with little direction. Established track record in delivering accounting services, including tax software, that streamline company processes and enhanced profitability by 5%.
- Devoted CPA with six years of experience developing and implementing financial systems, strategies and controls that improve profits and reduce losses. Extensive experience in the medical, legal and manufacturing industries. Highly ethical, discreet and dependable.
- Entry-level accountant with excellent attention to detail, strong technology skills and experience with QuickBooks and managing accounts receivable. Comfortable working in fast-paced, deadline-driven environments. Excellent written and oral communication. Proficiency in Excel, Hyperion, QuickBooks and MS Excel.
3 Accountant Work Experience Section Examples
Browsing through our accountant resume examples is a great way to see what the financial industry looks for in a work experience section and how to best write your own. The builder also offers a database of pre-written content tailored to suit the traditional accounting industry. Below are three examples that you can use as-is or customize with your own metrics using our Resume Builder:
- Managed a $200,000 annual corporate budget, with a reduction of costs totaling 10% over three years.
- Predicted losses and earnings using quantitative and qualitative analysis techniques to a high level of accuracy, allowing supervisors to make wise investment decisions.
- Analyzed and interpreted financial records, compiled detailed information and reconciled all data.
Top Skills for Your Accountant Resume
Many accounting firms use applicant tracking software (ATS) to scan the resumes of job applicants. With our builder, optimize your resume to pass the ATS and impress recruiters by including sought-after skills for accountants.
Here are hard and soft skills to consider incorporating when optimizing your accountant resume:
- Payroll and accounts receivable
- Microsoft Visual Basic
- Anti-money laundering experience
- Excellent presentation skills
- Customer service skills
- Exceptional general business knowledge
- Sound judgement
- Strong communication skills
Find Your Ideal Job
Once you have built your resume, stay on top of your job search with Job Alerts. Once you sign up, we will email you new accountant openings in your location.
Data and Statistics on Accountant Resume
Accountant job outlook
Projected job growth rate, 2018–2028
Number of accountant jobs in the U.S. in 2018
Top-paying states for accounting jobs (number of jobs)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics
Accountant median salary, 2019
Plain Text Accountant Resume
Name: Judith Ross
Address: City, State, Zip Code
Summary Statement: Detailed Accountant proficient in laws and procedures governing business operations, tax filings and regulatory compliance. Handles detail-oriented work in methodical and organized fashion. Leverages field expertise, resourcefulness and diligence to make positive impact on business operations.
- Helped clients navigate interactions with tax authorities and legal concerns related to financial matters.
- Partnered with auditors on annual audits and realized compliance with governmental tax guidelines producing reconciliations with 97% accuracy.
- Strengthened financial management processes to bring errors to near-zero in reporting, payroll administration and general bookkeeping.
Junior Staff Accountant
- Managed complex finance projects under direction of senior management to meet deadlines and budget limitations.
- Reviewed financial documents to verify accounting data and mathematical accuracy.
- Performed advanced reviews of business operational trends and expected obligations to prepare accurate forecasts.
- Prepared banking reports and reconciliation, by preparing checks, setting up new accounts and overseeing petty cash and postage accounts.
- Maintained status reports to provide management with updated information for client projects.
- Completed clerical tasks such as filing, copying and distributing mail.
- Data trending knowledge
- Invoice coding familiarity
- Advanced bookkeeping skills
- Hyperion Financial Management specialist
- Intuit QuickBooks specialist
- Budget analysis
Education & Training
Bachelor of Science: Accounting
Nevada State College
How do you write accounting achievements on a resume?
You can include statements detailing your accounting achievements in every part of your resume, especially the work experience section. When listing your achievements, consider how you helped an employer solve a problem or how you took initiative to implement a new process. Use specifics when possible, including facts and figures.
What is the objective in a resume for an accountant?
An accounting resume objective is a brief statement that includes your goals for the position you are applying for and what you hope to accomplish in your career in the future. For an entry-level job seeker who doesn’t have work experience, it may be preferable to a professional summary. Add it at the top of the resume under your contact information if you choose to include one.
How do you show CPA designation on a resume?
If you are a certified public accountant, you can highlight your designation by putting the letters “CPA” after your name at the top of your resume. This allows employers to easily recognize that you have this certification without having to scan through your resume. You can give the details of your certification, including the year, under the education section.