If you’re a financial consultant, you already know that advising companies on their accounting systems requires a certain level of experience as well as a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting. In your financial consultant resume, you should highlight this information as well as your knack for being an organized, solutions-driven person who can work accurately and efficiently. Refer to our financial consultant resume example for the amount of detail you need to include in the work experience section of your resume. This would include your duties and responsibilities in building financial models and recommending organizational best practices.
Resume Tips for Consultants
Finding a job is a trying process for many people, but it can be made slightly easier and more efficient through the use of a few simple yet effective practices.
1. Stay positive. This can be particularly difficult if you have just been let go from your last job, but if you are able to go into each application and interview with the will to succeed, recruiters will take notice.
2. Get active online. Recruiters and hiring managers are using social media more than ever before as a tool for identifying potential job candidates. Fill your profiles with industry-specific keywords to grab their attention.
3. Keep tabs on company higher-ups. Many high-level company workers also have online profiles of some kind. Monitoring or even connecting with them could provide a job opening tip you wouldn’t have found otherwise.
4. Maintain your connections. The larger your network of professional friends and acquaintances, the more likely you are to find out about work aligned with your interests.
5. Keep your skills sharp. Consider taking on contract-based work online between jobs. You will bring in some extra income and grow your reputation with a wider market.
Even with all of the factors that make your profession unique, one thing that makes finding jobs as a consultant similar to every other field is the need for a solid resume. Regardless of your industry of choice, there are a few basic things that every document needs in order to stand out.
1. Consider a unique resume design. Many applicants simply use one of the templates offered by their computer’s word processing software. Crafting your own will grab attention right away. Just be sure it is still cleanly formatted.
2. Don’t go over two pages. If you have lots of relevant information, exceeding a single page is fine. More than two pages, however, risks becoming long-winded and boring.
3. Always include contact information. In addition to an email address, give recruiters your phone number, city, state, and webpage URL if you have one. You want to know if you have an interview as soon as possible.
4. Avoid overuse of personal pronouns. Though this is a document about you, you will be more likely to attract reader attention if the focus instead on what you can offer the company.
5. Focus on your contributions to previous jobs. This demonstrates a sense of passion and initiative in the workplace that doesn’t come across when you instead use job description language.
Consultant Job Seeking Tips
As a financial consultant, you’ll provide financial services to organizations or individuals. The right resume is important for your consultant career, and our resume examples can help. We’ve created these resume examples to give you an idea of what employers are looking for in a resume in terms of both text and formatting. Review the samples below, then get started building your own resume, and move one step closer to landing the job you want.