Table of Contents
Select a resume template and customize
Looking for a job is a stressful endeavor, but one of the best ways to combat this stress is by making a professional and easy-to-read resume that improves your chance of getting called for an interview. In the following entry level resume template for Word, you’ll see some formatting examples for your own resume. There are also some helpful tips and extra examples in the steps below. Here’s a closer look at the summary statement, skills section, work history section and education section.
Writing Your Summary Statement
A great summary is the best way to start your resume because it makes a recruiter more likely to continue reading. Since you might have very little work experience, you should mention any you have along with some skills. With the entry level resume template for Word included here and these handy tips, you will be on your way to crafting a summary that is both professional and grabs attention.
• Keep it short, no more than three sentences or bullet points
• Highlight what makes you most qualified for the job
• Avoid making your summary sound like an objective
These tips help you make a resume that is visually appealing and easy to read. Here are three examples where you can see these tips in action. If you are worried about your level of work experience, focus more on your skills.
Recent graduate with experience working in reception. Knowledgeable of common office software and customer-service practices. Quick learner and hard worker.
Energetic worker with experience in administration, including sales and stocking. Well-versed in reading and understanding shipping records. Organized and punctual with a strong work ethic.
• Skilled maintenance technician with office experience
• Knowledgeable of common troubleshooting practices
• Practical experience assessing problems and providing solutions
Writing Your Skills Section
Use your skills section to show a potential employer that you have what it takes to work for the company. In the entry level resume template for Word included in this guide, you will see a skills section that shows the best formatting with short bullet points. Here are three best practices you will want to use while writing your resume:
• List 4-8 of your top skills
• Keep your skills relevant to the job
• Look through the job description for keywords and use these exact terms in your resume
Here are some skills you might include for a financial analyst resume:
• Critical thinking
• Complex problem-solving
• Number savvy
• Oral and written comprehension
Writing Your Work History Section
For an entry-level job, your work history might be lighter than normal. That means it is even more important that you highlight personal accomplishments that are as unique as possible. In the entry level resume template for Word included in this guide, you will see how to write a work experience section that really shines. Here are some tips to keep in mind when you put together your own work experience section:
• Use bullet points instead of a paragraph format
• Show the impact of your work by including metrics
• Use keywords from the job listing
• Start each bullet with an action verb
These tips will help you make your work experience section engaging and informative. For more examples, here are some work experience entries suitable to specific job titles:
• Manned desk station and handled four phone lines and incoming guests
• Evaluated incoming requests so they could be ranked from most pressing to least
• Coordinate work activities among multiple coworkers to improve efficiency by 25 percent
• Schedule daily operational work activities for multiple shared office spaces
• Collected information about new technologies and office suites to inform decision-makers
• Kept up-to-date on advances used by similar companies to keep organization on the cutting edge
Writing Your Education Section
To get the attention of employers, you need an education section that is informative and easy to read. A comprehensive education section is especially important for new jobseekers without decades of work experience. Proper formatting makes your resume easy to scan, meaning employers can understand your academic qualifications with a quick overview.
• If you have a college degree, do not list your high school information
• Include your expected graduation date for degrees in progress
• You don’t need to include your graduation date if it creates a gap in your resume
The following example and the entry level resume template for Word accompanying this guide will show you how to use these tips. This education section is suitable for a customer service representative.
Associate of Arts in Applied Finance – 2016
Pellissippi Community College – Knoxville, TN
Certified HDI Support Center Manager – 2016
Using Action Verbs in Your Entry Level Resume
Using action verbs in your resume allows your writing to show employers you have the experience they want, instead of just telling them. When you use action verbs, you create a picture of yourself as an energetic individual who stands out from the competition. In the entry level resume template for Word included here and the examples below, you will see some ways to use action verbs in your work experience section.
• Answered questions for customers who needed help with broken or malfunctioning toys
• Created spreadsheets to record and update financial figures
• Maintained database of local contractors to more easily handle maintenance issues
• Developed best-practices manual so new sales personnel could feel more confident
• Organized weekly reports reflecting how current financial goals were being met within the company
Adding Metrics to Your Entry Level Resume
Metrics in a resume show a hiring manager your quantified accomplishments to give him or her a better idea of your capabilities. With an entry level resume, you might have little work experience and will need to highlight how certain job activities you have completed are unique. If you have trouble coming up with metrics, try to think about how many phone lines you handled or how much money you helped your employer save. You can see this method in the entry level resume template for Word included with this guide and in the following examples.
WITHOUT METRIC: Cleaned multiple hotel rooms daily in high-volume facility
WITH METRIC: Cleaned 10 floors of hotel rooms daily in high-volume facility
WITHOUT METRIC: Maintained excellent service rating
WITH METRIC: Maintained service rating above 95 percent
WITHOUT METRIC: Improved access to materials in multiple warehouses
WITH METRIC: Improved swift access of materials by 20 percent in seven warehouses