Accomplished environmental professional with extensive experience managing and providing strategic direction for all aspects of environmental permitting, compliance, waste management and stewardship associated with the design, construction and maintenance of high voltage electric transmission lines and associated facilities. Demonstrated expertise collaborating with internal teams and regulatory agencies to deliver projects on schedule and within budget. Consistently recognized as a highly organized performer with proven success managing multiple simultaneous projects and initiatives while delivering a high-quality product.
· Portfolio project management
· Regulatory agency consultation
· Consultant management and oversight
· Environmental due diligence
· Local, federal and state environmental permitting strategy and management
· Verbal and written communication
· Attention to detail
· Problem solving
· Leadership and ability to influence others
· Collaboration with internal teams and external stakeholders
Manage and provide strategic direction for all aspects of environmental permitting, compliance, waste management and stewardship associated with the design, construction and maintenance of high voltage electric transmission lines and associated facilities.
· Collaborate with multidisciplinary project teams to plan, design and complete complex projects varying in scope from transmission line rebuilds to routing, siting and building new lines and substation facilities.
· Identify potential environmental issues that could impact the project and develop environmental survey and permitting strategies to achieve regulatory compliance and complete projects within budget and on schedule.
· Prepare and review federal, state and local permit applications and negotiate with regulatory agencies to obtain permits for construction projects including wetland, waterway (CWA), threatened and endangered species (ESA), and stormwater and erosion control (NPDES).
· Manage environmental field survey data collection to support permit applications and monitoring of construction activities to maintain compliance with permit conditions.
· Train company personnel and construction contractors on environmental policies and permit conditions to ensure compliance during construction activities.
· Drive continuous improvement through the company's Environmental Management System (EMS) by developing new procedures, revising existing procedures and completing self-assessments of the EMS.
· Advise in development and implementation of procedures and policies to ensure continuous compliance with existing and pending environmental regulations.
· Oversee and direct external environmental consultants to support environmental project surveys, permitting, construction monitoring, and record- keeping and reporting for projects.
· Develop and maintain effective relationships with regulatory agencies and external stakeholders;
· Oversee environmental due diligence assessments for property acquisitions.
· Manage waste, recycling and reuse programs for large substation and transmission line construction projects including proper disposal of PCB oil, asbestos, lead paint chips and contaminated soil; and
· Manage the response and investigation of oil spills and leaks from underground lines and substation equipment.
· Key Achievement: Received the Leader of Influence Award for developing the company's pollinator program, which includes a planting grant program for public land managers.
· Key Achievement: Led the company's involvement in and served as the energy sector co-chair for the Nationwide Candidate Conservation Agreement for Monarch Butterfly on Energy and Transportation Lands.
· Key Achievement: Developed an environmental compliance program for the company's operations and maintenance vegetation management activities conducted on 9,500 miles of transmission lines.
Served as a member of the City of Milwaukee's Brownfield Redevelopment Team working to facilitate development projects on contaminated properties in support of the mission of the Department of City Development. Managed environmental due diligence of property acquisitions and environmental site investigation and remediation projects.
· Worked collaboratively with internal City departments, external property developers, environmental consultants and regulatory agencies to address contaminated sites and develop strategies for redevelopment opportunities;
· Conducted Phase I environmental site assessments to support recommendations on property acquisition transactions;
· Managed Phase II environmental site assessment and remediation activities on over 30 project sites to support brownfield redevelopment projects;
· Prepared and administered state and federal grant applications for brownfield assessment and cleanup funds;
· Managed $4 million of Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Revolving Loan Funds, $1.8 million of EPA assessment grant funds, $1.8 million of EPA cleanup grant funds, and $1.3 million of State assessment grant funds;
· Administered the Brownfield Cleanup Revolving Loan Program, to provide loans to property owners or developers for the cleanup of contaminated properties;
· Led negotiations with local, regional, state, and federal regulatory agencies to achieve remediation and closure of contaminated sites; and
· Administered environmental consulting firm master contracts and provided oversight of work conducted by consultants.
Served as an Environmental Scientist for a large, international environmental consulting and engineering company. Activities performed:
· Designed soil and groundwater field investigation programs to determine the degree and extent of environmental contamination at over 30 properties located throughout Wisconsin and nationwide;
· Collected groundwater, soil, sediment and surface water samples for chemical analysis;
· Oversaw the drilling and installation of soil borings, monitoring wells, and piezometers;
· Analyzed geologic, hydrogeologic and analytical data obtained during field investigations and compared this data to applicable federal and state environmental contamination standards;
· Wrote complex technical reports summarizing geologic and hydrogeologic conditions at investigation sites;
· Conducted wetland delineations on over 500 acres in Illinois and Wisconsin and produced subsequent reports;
· Evaluated the geologic and hydrogeologic effects of a proposed fuel reduction project in the Mark Twain National Forest as part of a National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) Environmental Assessment;
· Conducted a Sensitive Plant Survey on over 1,900 acres in the Chippewa National Forest in northern Minnesota.
· Key Achievement: Selected for and completed the company's Leadership for Tomorrow program.
Job Titles Held: