Retired and distinguished Research & Development Director offering 33 years of experience in the Food & Beverage Industry. Demonstrated success in providing Team Leadership for the development of Business Strategies, Talented Associates and New Products to meet company platforms and increase revenue. Highly-organized with expertise in project management, solution development. change organization and cost management.
Research & Development Director/Senior Engineer
Provided the leadership for two R&D Business Units, in the strategic and resource planning for the advancement of new products/process platforms from conception through commercialization. Responsible for Associate Development and Talent Management for succession planning ensuring resourcing for future R&D opportunities to accomplish company objectives and generate revenue.
Oversaw groups of Product Managers, Process Engineers, Product Developers, Technicians and both Ingredient Purchasing and Shipping Clerks (total 26 reports).
Developed and executed upon strategic and tactical plans for R&D applications that involved new product development, startups, cost savings , product renovations and technical sales support.
· Through collaboration with Marketing and Supply Chain on new product launches and product improvements, the Dessert Business Unit has generated growth of cases sold in the category from 500 million cases in 2013 to over 800 million cases at the end of 2019.
· In 2011 provided the R&D lead in establishing Rich's Donut platform as an independent Business Unit. Contributing R&D lead for a cross functional team that provided a volume solution for a strategic customer. Through this partnership case volumes on donuts increased from 845 thousand cases sold in 2011 to over 9 million in 2019.
· Delivered over $6 million dollars in cost saving reformulations since 2011.
· Represent the R&D functions in the "due diligence" process for the purchasing and integration of the Rolling Pin Donut business into the Rich's Corporation.
· Successful track record in hiring and retaining talented associates and in the development of career and succession plans to promote these individuals to increasing levels of responsibilities.
Established a Cost Management/Formula Optimization platform for the R&D Hot Breakfast & Regional Grains Division. Responsibility included reviewing potential ideas (go or no-go status), timely completion of viable projects, follow-up on implementation plans and completion of projects. Identified applications of new technology to improve upon current milling capabilities and provide a competitive advantage in the marketplace.Evaluated & assessed the yearly milling potential on Western Canadian Oat Crop from 1997 through the 2000 crop years. Conducted yearly technical reviews of Quaker Oat's three Oat Mills to identify areas of opportunities to improve upon quality and product yields.
· Between the period of 2000 to 2004, I continually led the plans in surpassing the yearly target of providing $1 million dollars in cost savings for the Quaker Oats (later Pepsico) R&D division.
· One of three R&D reps that mapped out a Request for Proposal distributed to all of QO/Pepsico Flavor Vendors to deliver significant savings by identifying the core suppliers. Participated in the contract negotiations and monitored the program that delivered over $6 million in savings through flavor ingredients.
· Developed testing methods in comparing the efficiency of milling Brush Machines/Scourers for
the removing of Trichomes on Oats to improve the milling yields at the Cedar Rapid's Plant. Various equipment underwent thorough comparisons with final testing being completed at a manufacturer in Europe. Capital was approved, 10 units purchased and installed and improved groat yields by 17%.
Responsibilities included the tracking of Key Performance Indicators (yields, scrape, schedule adherence and attainment) for the St. Joseph Plant Corn, Flour and Oat Mills. Identified equipment or processing applications to address upon product quality issues and improve on yields. Executed production planning of the Corn Mill, Bulk and Instant Grits Packaging Lines for the Regional Grains Departments. Monitored daily usage, production output, and identified supply variances. Successfully developed plans in meeting order fill rates, material purchasing and execution on Supply Chain priorities. Established operational principles in the milling areas under my supervision (including cost savings, lock-out – tag out procedures and HACCP).
Received McCormick Scholarship Award 1984 & 1985
New York eTips On Premise 3.0
On-Premises Alcohol Training Awareness Program
Companies Worked For:
Job Titles Held: