Seasoned safety team member with advanced understanding of facility, grounds, personnel and asset security practices. Highly observant and diligent with high integrity, strong attention to detail and excellent problem-solving abilities. Trained in defensive tactics and conflict de-escalation techniques.
· Coordinate events and programs to support commuter students
The Director of Campus Security works directly with the Vice President for Student Success/Dean of Students (VPSA/DOS) to help ensure a positive co-curricular experience for all students. The safety of people and facilities at Buena Vista University is integral to the development of the campus community. Service and the protection of people and property on the BVU campus are emphasized. In addition to providing support for any administrative services as needed by the VPSS/DOS, this person will serve as a role model to all students, faculty, and staff.
• Select, train, supervise, and evaluate all full and part-time campus security officers, and student employees
• Develop and monitor duty schedules for all employees and stay within budget
• Serve as liaison between the University and area law enforcement agencies
• Develop operational policies and procedures for the campus security department
• Complete and maintain records necessary to remain in compliance with all local, state and federal requirements specifically Title IX, the Clery Act, VAWA and Campus Crime Statistics
• Oversee and administer departmental budget
• Coordinate and administer all services Campus Security provides
• Act as Emergency Management Coordinator for University
· Responsible in conjunction with University Marketing and Communication for Emergency Communication protocols
· Keep up to date with changes made to Title IX, Clery Act, and VAWA.
· Manage and maintain Proxy System
Educational Programming Efforts:
• Develop and present safety awareness and prevention programs for campus community
· Assess student learning in programs and report results to Student Success designee
• Work with Director of Residence Life to provide training related to safety and security for residence life staff (including scheduled fire drills)
• Assist in the planning and coordination of events that require security assistance
· Other duties assigned by VPSS/DOS
• Oversee and /or conduct investigations of criminal activity and other violations of university policy
· Work closely with Assistant Dean of Students, Title IX/Compliance Coordinator and Dean of Students when policy has been violated.
· Serve as lead Title IX Investigator
• Work closely with Director of Residence Life and residence life staff in the investigation of residence life policy infractions
Buildings and Grounds:
• Develop, oversee, and supervise parking and bicycle registrations and regulations. Address parking violations and concerns
• In conjunction with the Associate Director of Facilities Management, design and monitor nightly building inspection procedures
· Coordinate the administration and use of access cards - issued to BVU community members to gain entrance to buildings throughout campus.
• Review, evaluate, and make recommendations regarding campus lighting, emergency telephones, landscaping issues, and other safety concerns
• Other duties assigned by VPSA/DOS
· Identify the needs of commuter students and help them connect to the appropriate resources
· Educate commuter students of available services to them
Education and Experience:
· Master's Degree in student personnel, counseling, or a related field (preferred) and at least three years of full-time experience in campus security and/or law enforcement – combination of a Bachelor's Degree and experience will be considered
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
· Knowledge and experience with student conduct and judicial processes
· Experience providing supervision to student affairs professional staff
· Budget Development
· Excellent communication skills: oral and written
· Work collaboratively with faculty in support of the academic mission of the university
Observed and reported activities and incidents on Campus. Provided safety of property and personnel. Responded to incidents of fire, medical emergency, flooding, water discharge, elevator emergency, inclement weather, and student and faculty incidents
Trained new Sales classes through calibrating calls, coaching plans, and motivating. Experienced in gathering sensitive info, evaluating ricks, running MVR reports, writing reports, and extensive Human Resource and Management training workshops.
May 2020 selected as 2020 Education for Service recipient.
Companies Worked For:
Job Titles Held: