Fashion Designer Resume Examples
Fashion designers make clothing, accessories and footwear for men, women and kids. The global market for apparel and footwear is expected to rise from $1.9 trillion in 2019 to $3 trillion by 2030, with the United States being the second-largest apparel buyer on a per-capita basis.
Whether you are a highly experienced fashion designer or are looking to break into this burgeoning industry, our fashion designer resume example can help. Crafted by certified resume writers, our resume examples can teach you how to highlight your most impressive skills and experience in a way that will enhance your chances of landing your next big job.
OUR RECOMMENDED EXAMPLECustomize This Resume
Resume Success Stories
What is a Fashion Designer?
Fashion designers are artistic professionals who design clothes, shoes and accessories. They study the market trends and make predictions on which styles and colors are going to make a splash in a given season. They sketch designs, select fabrics, and oversee every aspect of the garment’s final look. Depending on the role, fashion designers may create one-of-a-kind haute couture garments or mass-produced ready-to-wear clothing lines.
Fashion designers play a crucial role in determining what’s considered fashionable and set the current trends. They work to establish their identity through their unique designs. Most designers have a bachelor’s degree in fashion designing or related fields.
What Makes This a Great
Fashion Designer Resume Example?
The first step in landing a coveted fashion designer role is to create an eye-catching resume. Our certified resume writers have drafted resume examples that show you all the elements that go into a show-stopping resume.
Here’s how our fashion designer resume example can help you craft your own:
- Industry-specific content: Fashion designers must have a mix of artistic talent and strong technical skills to be successful. Our certified resume writers created this resume example to show you how to showcase your most relevant skills and experience. Study our fashion designer resume example to familiarize yourself with strong written content and the right mix of keywords. Or, for more help, use our Resume Builder which offers pre-written content suggestions for every section of your resume.
- Shows resume format options: Study our fashion designer resume example to determine which resume format is best suited to your level of experience. The example above uses the chronological format, which is perfect for a highly experienced applicant. Job seekers with less experience should consider a functional or combination format, both of which place more emphasis on skills.
- Resume template selection: The resume template used in the example above is bold and vibrant, which is perfect for a fashion designer. Our resume examples show you appropriate resume designs for your field. If you are looking for a more conservative resume template, peruse the many designs offered in our builder.
3 Fashion Designer Professional Summary Examples
A well-drafted professional summary helps show hiring managers that you are a desirable candidate who is right for the role. Our fashion designer resume example shows you how to write a summary that will capture the attention of a potential employer.
Here are three examples of fashion designer professional summaries to study as you write your resume:
- Trend-setting fashion designer with over 12 of experience working for several luxury brands. Skilled at blending the brand philosophy with new products that cater to the fine taste of the current generation of customers. Possess effective communication skills and strong technical and team management skills that deliver quality results.
- Creative fashion designer with three years of experience in the sportswear industry. Recognized for designing visually appealing, high-selling apparel that are incredibly durable and comfortable. Have a strong network in the sports apparel industry, and possess certified knowledge of unique, special purpose fabrics.
- Experienced designer with over 10 years of experience in the industry. Won the prestigious The Council of Fashion Designers of America’s Accessory Designer of the year award in 2019. Specialize in designing handbags and clutches. Adept at designing software like EFI-Optitex and CAD. Excellent merchandising and visualization skills with a strong focus on designing products with high revenue-generating potential.
3 Fashion Designer Work Experience Examples
Your work experience section should be more than just a list of work responsibilities. It should sell a recruiter on your skills and talent. To help you accomplish this, our certified resume writers have crafted fashion designer work experience content that shows you how to add data and metrics to your resume that will give recruiters insight into the impact of your work.
Study our resume example and consider these three additional work experience section examples for your fashion designer resume:
- Designed a highly-acclaimed men’s summer collection that increased the revenue by 35% compared to the previous year.
- Manage a team of seven designers to create 125 SKUs for a children’s apparel company every month.
- Optimized the company’s primary designing platform from five to three that resulted in costs-savings of $57,000 per SKU due to efficiencies of scale.
Top Skills for Your Fashion Designer Resume
Highlighting the right skills on your resume is the key to grabbing the attention of hiring managers and getting your resume past an applicant tracking system. Here are some recommendations for hard and soft skills that you might consider for your fashion designer resume:
- Illustrator, CLO-3D
- Fabric selection
- Cash-flow generating design
- Assembly line knowledge
- Design and conceptual skills
- Creative sketching
- Presentation skills
Building Your Fashion Designer Resume with Our Builder:
Select a Resume Template
Choose Pre-Written Phrases
Download, Print and Apply
Fashion Designer FAQs
- What are some of the duties of a fashion designer?
- What are the educational qualifications of a fashion designer?
- What are the different types of fashion designers?
What are some of the duties of a fashion designer?
A fashion designer’s duties include presenting design ideas to the creative director, displaying them in fashion or trade events, choosing appropriate fabrics, colors, and styles that work for different body types, visiting manufacturers or trade events to acquire fabric samples, and much more. To be successful, a designer should also have strong research skills and an understanding of how garments are made.
What are the educational qualifications of a fashion designer?
Fashion designers usually have a bachelor’s degree in fashion design, fashion technology, or fashion merchandising. The course enables them to gain knowledge of textiles and learn to use computer-aided design (CAD) technology. The course requires learners to also work on projects which can be added to their portfolio.
What are the different types of fashion designers?
Fashion designers may be categorized as fashion designers specializing in couture, ready-to-wear, high-end street fashion or mass market items. There are also fashion designers who specialize in shoes and accessories.