Use this professional created Driver job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Drivers operate vehicles or tractor-trailers to deliver or transport company products and materials. While most of their time is spent on the road to a destination, they also perform unloading and loading duties once they arrive at a warehouse. Additionally, drivers are responsible for completing paperwork about their delivery and maintaining a clean and safe driving record.
The first thing that is usually mentioned in a driver job description is the requirement of a commercial driver’s license. Knowing and following all road safety laws and regulations are other key requirements for drivers. Drivers should also have experience working in the field.
Since drivers interact with customers, communication skills are a must. Organizational skills and solid attention to detail are desirable attributes for successful drivers as well. Punctuality is vital to this position, so be sure to include this in your job description.
Driver Job Description Template
Are you looking to put your superior driving skills to good use? Do you have an extensive track record of clean and safe operation, timely delivery, and dependability? If so, then this driver position could be perfect for you. Successful drivers communicate clearly to the customer, deliver product on time and safely, and perform these roles while properly managing their time. You also need experience handling tractor-trailer combinations and the equipment used to secure and maintain them. The ideal driver candidate will also handle a variety of warehouse equipment to support loading and unloading the truck in a timely manner.
- Coordinate paperwork for the truck manifest on each trip using the company’s software system before leaving the facility.
- Transport deliveries safely to their destination locations on time. As part of this duty, verify shipping loads against the paperwork and obtain signatures for materials when they are delivered.
- Determine the most efficient route to destinations to ensure timely delivery.
- Maintain records of routes and times in accordance with state and federal law, as well as company policy.
- Inspect and maintain the truck and all related equipment, putting in repair requests as necessary to maintain safe operation.
- Operate warehouse equipment, including vehicles, in a way that facilitates the loading and unloading of the truck while observing all safety regulations and manufacturer’s safety instructions for that equipment.
- Take on material handling duties as necessary to complete the delivery of necessary materials to destination locations, including handling materials during loading and unloading.
- Relay customer feedback, including concerns, complaints, damaged deliveries, returns, and competitive knowledge whenever it is presented.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- CDL Class A
- At least one year of professional driving experience
- Ability to pass the DOT medical exam and Commercial Motor Vehicle Certification
- Ability to operate warehouse equipment, including pallet jacks, floor lifts, and forklifts
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Customer service skills