Retail Clerk Job Description Writing and Posting in 3 Easy Steps
Use this professional created Retail Clerk job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Retail clerks help customers locate and buy goods by listening to their purchasing goals and making recommendations based on the available merchandise. They then finalize these purchases by using cash registers to complete the transactions.
Retail clerks interact with the public all day long, so they enjoy greater job success when they have outgoing personalities and are comfortable making small talk. They should also be able to apply problem-solving skills to fulfill challenging requests and resolve uncomfortable situations.
Your employees must be able to utilize basic math and reading to operate cash registers and apply discounts, so be sure to clarify this in your retail clerk job description. Candidates should also be capable of standing for long periods of time and lifting objects weighing up to approximately 50 pounds.
Retail Clerk Job Description Template
Can you confidently sell health insurance to an invulnerable superhero? If so, we’d love to have you as our next retail clerk. We need you and your top-notch industry skills to take excellent care of our customers as you use your fount of knowledge to adequately sell and upsell our products while exemplifying our company culture. We also look forward to hearing your ideas about how we can improve our products and how we display and sell them, so feel free to bring your freshest, most innovative and wildest ideas to the table. Our company feeds on the excitement of our employees, so if you’re ever feeling uninspired, we aren’t holding up our promise to you. See what working retail should be like and send over your application materials.
- Greet customers as they enter the store, making them feel welcome without overdosing them on cheeriness (think Southern hospitality).
- Demonstrate and explain the proper way to use our products and any accessories that come with them, answering any questions and addressing any concerns the customer might have.
- Listen to customers to gain a thorough understanding of what they need and make tailored recommendations.
- Examine sales floor when the opportunity presents itself to ensure merchandise is well-stocked, well-maintained and properly rotated.
- Process, check, stock and inventory shipments, making sure deliveries are correct and of good quality.
- Provide exemplary customer service throughout the shift, helping customers as needed and demonstrating our company culture.
- Process business transactions, handle cash, process debit/credit cards and perform returns or exchanges when permitted (note that we allow customers to make purchases using their smartphones).
- Perform general janitorial duties during and after shift, which consists of sweeping, mopping, dusting, scrubbing and organizing various work areas.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- At least 18 years of age
- Able to perform basic math, writing and reading tasks without supervision
- Able to comfortably stand for extended periods of time
- Able to lift at least 50 pounds
- Experience working as part of a team
CREATE MY JOB DESCRIPTION
View More Retail Job Descriptions