Use this professional created Sous Chef job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Sous chefs are responsible for assisting a head chef in running a large commercial kitchen. They are often responsible for supervising workers, creating schedules and enforcing regulations; they may also plan menus or ensure food quality. Often, the sous chef is responsible for ordering inventory or scheduling maintenance. Depending on the kitchen’s size, the sous chef may be directly involved in food preparation or limited to an administrative role.
Generally, sous chefs have a great deal of experience working within the food industry; they have often received formal culinary training and demonstrated expertise in the field. Most sous chefs are second-in-command behind the kitchen’s head chef.
Because a sous chef is required to perform a wide variety of duties, an ideal candidate is capable of both staying organized and multitasking. Your sous chef job description might mention that management experience is a plus.
Sous Chef Job Description Template
If you are passionate about food and ready to take your culinary career to the next level, we are excited to have you join our kitchen as a sous chef. We value creativity and innovation and would love to give you the opportunity to challenge yourself and expand your abilities as part of our friendly and dedicated team. You will have the chance to experiment with new techniques and create seasonal and themed menu items under the direction of our acclaimed executive chef. We value hard work, dedication, and a team mentality, so you can count on a supportive and professional working environment. Bring your passion and skills to our kitchen and enjoy competitive compensation including full benefits.
- Assist executive chef in all preparation, cooking, and oversight of culinary operations daily, including collecting, washing, and preparing ingredients as well as seasoning and cooking foods to proper temperatures as indicated in recipes and safety standards.
- Create, prepare, test, and implement new food and beverage additions to the menu in accordance with special events, themes, and allergy or dietary restrictions.
- Ensure all processes, equipment, employees, and methods comply with federal, state, and local laws regarding cleanliness, safety, documentation, and alcohol awareness standards.
- Oversee all kitchen operations as directed by the executive chef, verify proper technique and quality standards, quickly assess any problems, and proactively respond by assisting other cooks as needed.
- Communicate efficiently and clearly with other kitchen personnel, front-of-house staff, management, vendors, and customers daily and maintain a calm and controlled demeanor during stressful situations or critiques.
- Plan seasonal menus that include local and/or unique ingredients, implement cost control methods to ensure adherence with budgetary standards, determine appropriate inventory requirements, order products, and receive and catalog food items.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Culinary School certification or four years’ equivalent work experience
- Ability to use all standard commercial kitchen equipment safely and correctly
- Strong teamwork and communication skills
- Experience providing excellent one-on-one customer service
- Menu planning and catering experience
- Familiarity with inventory processes and cost control methods