Use this professional created Server job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Servers greet customers, take food and drink orders, ensure guests are satisfied throughout their meal and clear dishes and glasses when possible. Their job also requires that they communicate with kitchen staff to make sure food orders are made correctly.
A solid server job description is one that mentions interested applicants should have proven communication and customer-oriented skills, as well as the physical stamina necessary to stand on their feet for long periods of time.
As far as education requirements, most servers are fine with a high school diploma. New servers often undergo on-the-job training so they can adequately perform their jobs. You might also desire candidates aware of the latest state and local alcohol laws.
Server Job Description Template
At our restaurant, we pride ourselves on providing fresh food and excellent customer service. As a quickly growing company, we are looking to expand our staff with a new server position. If you have the customer service skills required to provide our high level of service requirements, apply for this appealing and beneficial serving position. We prioritize creating a caring and fun environment for our staff as well as our customers. With opportunities to advance into managerial or marketing positions, we encourage and help our servers excel in their jobs and other aspects of their professional lives; apply to join our superstar team today.
- Communicate with guests about when their food will be ready and any problems that may arise in a friendly and sincere manner.
- Interact with other service and cooking staff to ensure speedy and effective operations so guests receive their food as quickly and accurately as possible.
- Work with money on a daily basis, providing accurate change quickly and precisely while continuing to communicate cheerfully with the guests.
- Handle food carefully and responsibly while serving guests their dishes.
- Provide a friendly and caring experience for every guest that comes into the restaurant, upholding the restaurant’s hospitality standards.
- Receive orders on a weekly basis, guaranteeing accuracy of the order and help unload the shipment and put every product away correctly.
- Prepare dishes in the kitchen for certain shifts as needed.
- Train other employees in standard practices and procedures in a shadow-style training program.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Fluent in English with excellent communication skills
- Results-driven and goal-oriented with a priority on teamwork
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time and move heavy items
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to get along with any kind of person
- Passed food handling examination prior to applying
- Previous experience in customer service or related interpersonal position