Use this professional created Photographer job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Photographers create images that convey a message or preserve a memorable moment in time. They combine technical skills with a creative understanding of composition to capture images and use various techniques to enhance the appearance of each photograph.
Depending on the project, photographers use traditional or digital cameras. Experienced photographers should be able to edit their own images and keep accurate records of appointments. Like other creative positions, a skilled photographer should also have a digital portfolio for clients to peruse.
In your photographer job description, specify the style of photography you prefer as well as the experience required for the position. For specialty fields like photojournalism or scientific photography, look for candidates with a bachelor’s degree or experience in a related field.
Photographer Job Description Template
Are you looking for a position where you can put your creativity to task while working on exciting projects and in unique settings? We are seeking a photographer to join our graphic design department. The ideal candidate has a solid understanding of lighting and visual design and possesses high-quality photography equipment to capture the best images. You must also be able to create a variety of creative special effects that make the subject of the picture look its best. If you are ready to let your artistic talents help make an impact on our company and in our industry, we want you to join our team.
- Operate a variety of cameras and other photography equipment like tripods, flash accessories, lenses, filters and other attachments to create visually stunning photographs that meet the requirements of the client or the project.
- Control the look of the final photograph by adjusting light levels, choosing the right backgrounds, using props when necessary, playing around with positioning and selecting specific shoot locations.
- Fine tune specific details when taking pictures, such as choosing the right filter, film speed, shutter speed, focus and aperture to get the results that are wanted.
- Upload raw photograph data into a computer system on a daily basis so pictures can be shared with other staff members or reviewed for quality.
- Use editing software to optimize photographs, add special effects, erase imperfections, adjust color, increase visibility and achieve the goals of the assignment.
- Maintain all photography equipment by ensuring proper operation, performing regular cleaning and organizing materials in the studio when not in use.
- Determine assignment criteria by discussing ideas and outcomes with other staff, clients or supervisors to create a plan to achieve the specific details or look that is desired.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Ability to work in a variety of indoor or outdoor settings
- Proficiency in photo editing software
- Skilled in working independently or as part of team
- Excellent attention to detail
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written