Use this professional created Instructional Designer job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Instructional designers create instructional materials for traditional instructor-led classes, internet programs and web-based learning aids. They revamp courses for online presentation and analyze class outlines to make sure they meet institutional standards. They also keep abreast of the latest instructional methodologies and technologies and make recommendations for improvements.
Your instructional designer job description should describe educational and professional requirements and necessary computer and technical skills. Good candidates should have excellent analytical skills because they must keep technology systems running smoothly. They must be good problem-solvers who are detail-oriented.
Your job description also should mention necessary personality traits as well as professional talents. Successful instructional designers have excellent written and verbal communication skills because they are responsible for rewriting course materials and setting achievable objectives as well as interacting with other staff.
Instructional Designer Job Description Template
We pride ourselves on offering the best education to our students, including those enrolled in our distance learning program. With you on our team as an instructional designer, we can continue to create online programs that have the same educational standards that people expect from our courses. You will have the chance to work with subject matter experts to design or adapt coursework to online learning platforms. Use your technological prowess to keep our campus using the latest instructional technologies to remain at the forefront of online and distance learning education. With your excellent problem solving and analytical skills, you will work closely with the IT department to keep our systems up and running smoothly throughout the semester to minimize any downtime that could negatively impact our students’ learning.
- Design a variety of instructional materials for traditional instructor-led courses, online programs, web-based learning aids or products, and other programs as needed.
- Develop materials for courses based on information provided by subject matter experts and instructors to create the best coursework possible.
- Create realistic objectives for learning or performance for students and instructors.
- Redesign courses for online presentation that are conducive to distance learning programs while still adhering to academic goals of the institution.
- Recommend changes to existing courses, including technology or instructional methods, to better adhere to delivery options for the course.
- Analyze courses to ensure they meet or exceed institutional standards, and provide reports for accreditation reviews.
- Adapt coursework to assist learners with disabilities so that they are able to experience the same learning opportunities as others.
- Remain aware of all emerging instructional technologies and make recommendations about when to adopt certain systems to continue to offer the best learning experience possible.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in English or Communications
- 3-5 years’ experience in online curriculum development
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Master’s degree in instructional design
- Experience working with Blackboard or similar learning management system