Use this professional created Adjunct Professor job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Adjunct professors work with students in higher education to impart knowledge and training as well as offer encouragement. Adjunct professors work on a course-by-course basis, so their schedules are flexible. They can reach out to students personally without the worries and responsibilities of full-time professors.
Your adjunct professor job description should stress the need for friendly professionalism. Adjunct professors maintain records and develop syllabi, course outlines and instructional materials, so they should be detail-oriented critical thinkers. However, they also need to be creative.
Reference appropriate education, usually a terminal degree in an appropriate field. Adjunct professors should be approachable and present course materials in an engaging manner that encourages students to attend class regularly. They should also be willing to attend continuing education classes to ensure their knowledge and teaching methods are up to date.
Adjunct Professor Job Description Template
As an adjunct professor, you work with students at higher education facilities to provide them with the knowledge and training they need to be successful in their chosen career. Your ability to work on a course-by-course basis gives you the flexibility to choose when you want to work and when you don’t. Adjunct professors can reach out to students in personal ways without the worries of research, tenure and development that full-time professors have. You’ll enjoy the prestige of working for an educational institution with freedom to teach your specialties in the way you are most comfortable. Improve the lives of every student with a quality education as an adjunct professor.
- Teach specific classes in your chosen field in innovative, engaging ways that help students learn and encourage them to come to class regularly.
- Develop course outlines, curriculum and instructional materials to improve the processes and courses offered to students as they seek their chosen degree.
- Advise students about career choices, advancement, progress and goal attainment in your course with regard to their field of study.
- Assign grades and assess student progress, potential and achievement in concrete, understandable ways to ultimately help the student progress toward a degree.
- Lecture and teach the material presented in the course syllabus and outline in a professional and engaging manner.
- Participate in continuing education classes to guarantee that your knowledge and teaching methods are up-to-date and likely to help students succeed.
- Maintain appropriate records in an organized, efficient manner for every individual class taught, and have this information prepared for students at all times.
- Cultivate a desire to build relationships, find solutions to problems and be helpful and friendly at all times.
- Terminal degree in appropriate field
- Demonstrated success in appropriate computer programs and current technology
- Flexible schedule and ability to teach several different courses at once
- Previous experience at an educational institution
- Solid rapport and relationships with past students and colleagues