Use this professional created Legal Assistant job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Legal assistants are tasked with performing supporting tasks for the lawyers and judges they serve. They will be required to gather facts for cases, conduct legal research, and organize and maintain documents and filing systems. They are also frequently asked to write legal documents and reports.
When creating a legal assistant job description for your vacancy, you should include qualities such as interpersonal and communication skills, which are key for success in this position. Legal assistants must be able to clearly document and present their research and information to attorneys.
These employees should also have excellent organizational skills that allow them to keep track of documents and files. Computer and research skills help legal assistants perform their duties more efficiently as well.
Legal Assistant Job Description Template
Looking for an opportunity to find your valued place amongst talented and creative problem-solvers? We look forward to getting to know you, a skilled and self-motivated legal assistant, as you join our team and become an invaluable asset to your company culture. If you have been looking for an opportunity to take the next step in your career, you will love the energy-charged atmosphere and attractive advancement opportunities that we make available to every member of our thriving team. Fall in love with our passion, values, and total commitment to achieving nothing less than excellence in everything we do. If you thrive on success, recognition, and generous compensation for a job well done, we can’t wait to speak with you!
- Handle senior attorney schedules, arrange flights and plan monthly or quarterly speaking engagements at respectable venues.
- Draft emails, letters, legal agreements, and other binding documents and correspondence as dictated by senior attorneys.
- Proofread documents prepared by attorneys and other office personnel to ensure accuracy in grammar and spelling.
- Provide secretarial and administrative support as requested by senior attorneys, including interacting with clients, meeting with outside counsel, and serving as a liaison between department managers, company officers, and other staff members.
- Oversee and maintain organized filing procedures for client lists, legal materials, case files, and other documentation.
- Assist in legal research as dictated by senior attorneys, analyze and compile data, and receive, sort, and deliver incoming mail to the correct parties.
- Review, prepare and submit expense reports on a weekly basis for senior attorneys.
- Answer telephone calls, resolve client concerns when possible, and greet and entertain clients while they wait to meet with senior attorneys.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Minimum one year of experience as a legal assistant
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Knowledge of legal terminology, contracts, court document keying, and other legal documents
- Ability to confidentially handle sensitive information
- Excellent computer skills
- Associate’s or bachelor’s degree in a related field preferred