Use this professional created Hairdresser job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
Hairdressers provide multiple hairstyling services, such as washing, cutting, coloring, chemical treatments, and blow drying. Before providing these services, they often advise clients as to which ones would be most beneficial or attractive. Hairdressers also recommend methods and products for maintaining healthy hair.
Some clients love to talk while receiving styling services, while others would prefer to stay quiet. Hairdressers must be able to gauge and meet these preferences, so strong social skills are crucial to job success. Your hairdresser job description should also highlight the importance of creativity, since hairdressers must be able to visualize and produce flattering hairstyles that satisfy their clients.
Hairdressers must obtain appropriate licensing from a state-approved training program to work in the industry. They must also be able to keep their work areas clean and stand for long periods of time.
Hairdresser Job Description Template
If you love exploring creative ways to make others feel good about themselves, enjoy making new friends on a daily basis and have the desire to create in unique ways, then a job as a hairdresser is perfect for you. As a hairdresser with us, you will be styling, cutting and coloring hair for men, women and children. Your job may also extend into consultations, styling, perming and washing hair for those who just want to be pampered for a day. As you have your own clientele, working as a hairdresser allows you flexibility to set your own schedule when you prefer to work. Hairdressers are members of a very social profession that increases the confidence of others.
- Consult with clients and advise them on what would look best for their personal style, then determine which services they require to get the look they want.
- Create formal hair styles for special events when customers want to be pampered before something important.
- Analyze the facial features, hair and unique needs of every client to determine and recommend beauty treatments for the hair and face.
- Encourage clients to take better care of their hair with beauty products from the salon that are higher quality and make color and style last longer.
- Shave, cut and trim hair using special scissors, razors, trimmers and clippers for men.
- Understand the basic chemistry of hair color, and continue to learn more about current styles and new products on the market to offer the best services to our clients.
- Keep regular track of client treatments so there is accurate documentation of previous hairstyles, colors and special needs to offer your client additional benefits every time he or she comes in.
Job Skills & Qualifications
- Full cosmetology license or specific license for hair designers and hairdressers
- Passing score on state hairstyling examinations
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Completed coursework in a hairdresser program
- Associate’s degree in cosmetology
- Ability to work under pressure