Use this professional created Chemist job description example to gain some inspiration on how to best craft your job description.
A chemist is responsible for planning and implementing complex research projects in order to create new products or test scientific methods. Applicants must have strong leadership skills to direct technicians in testing and analyzation methods as well as instruct scientists in proper testing procedures. A chemist must have a strong understanding of laboratory safety regulations and quality standings as well as the ability to present findings to colleagues.
Your chemist job description should indicate that applicants have a bachelor’s degree in chemistry or a similar field such as physics or engineering. If a master’s degree is preferred, it should be mentioned.
Your job description should provide details about desired skills, such as communication, critical thinking, analytical skills and time management.
Chemist Job Description Template
As one of our chemists, you have the opportunity to work with a team of scientists who create an engaging, exciting atmosphere full of learning and new discoveries. As you study substances at a molecular level, you enhance the quality of our products and even develop new products while determining how substances react to each other at the most basic level. A job as a chemist allows you to use your technical knowledge to create products and services that improve the world for the average consumer. Exercise your communication skills by working with a team as you focus on your scientific background while completing research as one of our highly-valued chemists.
- Use spectroscopy, chromatography and spectrophotometry techniques to analyze inorganic and organic compounds to determine physical or chemical properties, structures, relationships, compositions or reactions.
- Introduce light, energy, heat or chemical catalysts to change the composition of various substances to document a qualitative or quantitative analysis.
- Clean and maintain laboratory equipment and instruments to guarantee all technology is in working order, and troubleshoot any problems or issues that arise with laboratory equipment.
- Prepare compounds, test solutions and reagents for the correct individuals in the laboratory to perform the appropriate test.
- Conduct monthly quality control tests to ensure that no equipment or compounds are contaminated by outside variables or environmental factors that can be controlled.
- Analyze and compile data from research tests to diagnose malfunctions or determine equipment or process operating efficiency.
- Educate additional personnel regarding the correct operating procedures to analyze physical properties or components of various materials.
- Order chemicals and other laboratory supplies weekly and keep a close watch on expiration dates to ensure quality control in the lab
- Bachelor’s degree in chemistry or closely related field
- Undergraduate-level classes in mathematics, organic chemistry, physical chemistry or physics
- At least one year of experience working in a scientific lab
- Master’s degree in chemistry or related field
- Study focus on environmental chemistry