Guidance Counselors provide support, encouragement, and direction to students through counseling sessions, meetings, and programs. This role is very specialized and takes a high level of knowledge in educational systems and psychology. Because the resume objective is the first glance employers have at your resume, using it to highlighting your skill set is crucial.
What the Guidance Counselor Resume Objective Should Tell Prospective Employers
A strong guidance counselor candidate has experience and schooling that will allow them to provide the best advice for students in regard to their current schooling, future education possibilities, potential careers, and more. They should also be trained and practiced in psychology, as many functions of a guidance counselor are outside of education, like providing support and assistance for substance abuse, emotional struggles, and behavioral problems. Other key skills include experience in crisis intervention, high-stress situations, and conflict management. When working on your resume, the above skills need to be emphasized in the objective.
Sample Guidance Counselor Resume Objectives
Written below are a few examples of guidance counselor resume objectives. It’s always a nice touch to add the company’s name in the objective statement.
1. Obtain a position with ABC Company as a Guidance Counselor to utilize conflict management and crisis intervention skills as well as experience in counseling and educational guidance.
2. Looking to acquire a Guidance Counselor position with ABC Company and use strengths in educational guidance and support for students, as well as counseling and high-stress job experience.
3. Motivated individual with counseling experience, knowledge of teen psychology, and skills in crisis intervention and conflict management seeking the role of Guidance Counselor with ABC Company.
4. Experienced individual with 10+ years of counseling experience seeking Guidance Counselor position with ABC Company to apply counseling and crisis management skills to help guide students toward success.
5. Searching for a position with ABC Company as a Guidance Counselor to use strong skills in conflict management, counseling, and educational guidance.
Skills To Put in a Guidance Counselor Resume Objective
An impactful objective statement uses descriptions of top skills to show why you are a competitive candidate. To achieve the effect you want, select the most essential skills, and use the right language to describe them. For a guidance counselor, this means technical qualifications as well as vital personal qualities that allow you to help students effectively.
While candidates for other positions may include soft skills as an afterthought, this is not the case for you, as these abilities play the leading role in allowing you to do your job. However, you should also remember to let employers know you will not neglect important duties, such as administrative responsibilities, even though they are less conspicuous. This list of relevant skills can get you started:
- Understanding of academic standards
- Knowledge of requirements for various academic and vocational pathways
- Ability to assess academic, social, and behavioral performance in order to provide appropriate advice
- Great communicator who displays patience and compassion
- Highly attentive to details and committed to knowing and understanding students’ situations and goals
- Experience working with administrators and teachers to develop and implement school-wide events
- Able to identify and address needs for academic and emotional support for individual students and groups
- Implementing prevention and information programs as needed
- Communicating with parents and teachers about concerns
Head Over to LiveCareer’s Resume Builder for more help with writing a resume objective.
Social Studies Teacher/School Guidance Counselor Intern/School Adjustment Counselor Intern @ Abington Middle School
Determined School Counselor with success in helping students achieve educational goals and personal well-being. Talented in meeting the objectives of the counseling program by providing preventative e...
13 yrs 3 mo
Guidance Counselor @ Pleasantville Public Schools
Lead Guidance Counselor with experience supporting students' transition from high school to higher education. Excels at guiding students to make and meet academic goals. Takes pride in creating suppor...
Guidance Counselor @ New Dawn Charter High School
Experienced School Counselor with expertise providing group and individual counseling to promote college access success among students. Proven leader focused on establishing and maintaining school cou...
14 yrs 3 mo
Guidance Counselor @ Spring Valley Hospital
Talent Acquisition Manager and Military Veteran with over 20 years of proven experience in the United States Army. Accomplished superior results while leading or supporting teams of up to 320 personne...
12 yrs 11 mo
High School Guidance Counselor @ Kansas City Public Schools
Dedicated counselor helping students overcome issues, including depression, anxiety and career concerns, emphasizing unconditional positive regard. Specializes in at-risk students. Accessible and comp...
Build a resume with LiveCareerBuild my resume
As seen in*
*The names and logos of the companies referred to in this page are all trademarks of their respective holders. Unless specifically stated otherwise, such references are not intended to imply any affiliation or association with LiveCareer.