Cosmetologist Resume Examples
With plenty of job opportunities and an above-average job outlook in the beauty industry over the next decade, now is a great time to take the next step in your cosmetologist job search. Our cosmetologist resume examples show you how to best highlight your experience in ways that will appeal to hiring managers. Study our examples as you fill out the critical sections of your resume.
OUR RECOMMENDED EXAMPLECustomize This Resume
Resume Success Stories
What is a Cosmetologist ?
Cosmetologists provide clients with a variety of beauty and grooming services, including hairstyling, skincare treatments, manicures and the removal of unwanted body and facial hair. These beauty professionals often specialize in one area. Hair specialists offer services such as color treatments and hair extensions. Those who focus on skincare give clients facials, laser treatments, waxing and makeup application services. All states require cosmetologists to have a cosmetology certification or specific post-high school training from a licensed school.
What Makes This a Great
Cosmetologist Resume Example?
Cosmetologists offer important services that many people rely on to maintain their physical appearance. Whether you just graduated from cosmetology school or you have many years of experience, looking through our cosmetology resume examples provides you with inspiration to craft your own resume.
Here’s how our cosmetology resume examples can assist in the resume writing process:
- Suggested professionally-written content: This resume example is effective because it uses content written by our team of certified resume writers who understand the words and phrases hiring managers look for in a resume. Use our example as inspiration as you write your own resume using our builder, use our builder for access to pre-written content suggestions.
- Shows appropriate resume formats: The resume example is for a job seeker who has more than 10 years of experience as a cosmetologist. She has chosen a combination resume format that showcases both her skills and experience equally. Or, if you are a more senior cosmetologist or an entry-level applicant, another resume format might be more appropriate.
- Demonstrates appropriate templates: Because cosmetologists work in a creative industry, the resume template you choose can be more imaginative than for more conservative industries. This example’s bold use of color is eye-catching and presents the job seeker’s qualifications in a creative but clear manner.
3 Cosmetologist Professional Summary Examples
The professional summary is an important component of any resume. It is the first thing hiring managers see so it must pack a punch. Use our resume examples to learn how to write your own cosmetologist professional summary or utilize our builder to get step-by-step guidance. Below are three examples of cosmetologist professional summaries that could work for your resume:
- Licensed cosmetologist with 5+ years of experience. Strong background in makeup application, hairstyling, color correction and skincare. Beauty industry expert with strong customer service skills and excellent time management.
- Creative licensed cosmetologist dedicated to providing clients with high-quality professional hairstyles and skincare treatments. Experience providing cutting-edge, on-trend services in salons and spas. Motivated, upbeat professional with excellent customer services skills and a network of beauty industry contacts and established clients.
- Certified cosmetologist with 10+ years of experience providing hair, skincare and other beauty solutions to clients. Provide quality advice on hair styling and cosmetics use. Dedicated, reliable beauty expert with a strong background in customer service and product sales.
3 Cosmetologist Work Experience Examples
Use our cosmetologist resume examples as inspiration when writing your own resume. Or, use our Resume Builder to gain access to pre-written content written by our certified resume writers to use for your work experience section. Here are three examples of work experience content for your cosmetologist resume:
- Recruited, trained, mentored and developed new cosmetologists and estheticians.
- Maintained confidential, accurate client records to ensure information was readily available from appointment to appointment.
- Provided hair treatment services to clients including color correction, cuts, hair extensions, deep conditioning treatments and perms.
Top Skills for Your Cosmetologist Resume
Many top salons and spas use applicant tracking software (ATS) that scans the resumes of job seekers to identify the most qualified applicants. Using our builder, you can optimize your resume to include the skills many hiring managers desire.
Here are hard and soft skills to enhance your cosmetologist resume:
- Aesthetic laser use
- Advanced skincare knowledge
- Chemical straightening
- Health and safety practices and standards
- Interpersonal skills
- Verbal communication
- Attention to detail
Building Your Cosmetologist Resume with Our Builder:
Select a Resume Template
Choose Pre-Written Phrases
Download, Print and Apply
- What are the duties and responsibilities of being a cosmetologist?
- What is the work environment like for a cosmetologist?
- What are the job requirements for a cosmetologist?
What are the duties and responsibilities of being a cosmetologist?
The main responsibilities of a cosmetologist are providing hair, makeup and skin treatments to clients. Many cosmetologists specialize in one of these areas, offering clients either haircuts, color treatments and hairstyling services or waxing, facials and other skin and hair-removal treatments. Other responsibilities include selling beauty and cosmetics products, managing client accounts and maintaining relationships with vendors.
What is the work environment like for a cosmetologist?
Cosmetologists work in a wide variety of environments. Some work in large, high-end salons that have many workers and service many clients on a daily basis. Others find jobs in smaller spas or salons that handle fewer clients and have a more laid-back atmosphere. Independent cosmetologists have acquired the proper license to work out of their homes. In certain states, cosmetologists can provide certain hairstyling and skincare services in a home-based salon.
What are the job requirements for a cosmetologist?
Although exact requirements depend on the employer, most salons and spas require their cosmetologists to have a high school diploma. State regulations require cosmetologists to have applicable post high school training and a valid license. Licensing requirements vary by state, but state boards usually require that cosmetologists pass a skills test and complete a certain number of internship hours.