Table of Contents
Resume Success Stories
Building Your Project Accountant Resume with Our Builder:
Select a Resume Template
Choose Pre-Written Phrases
Download, Print and Apply
What Is a Project Accountant?
Project accountants generally act as financial controllers for large projects. The specific responsibilities of this profession depend on how the company organizes its staff, as well as the type and length of the project.
Project accountants traditionally worked in engineering, construction and public service. They now compete with project managers, with both professions performing some similar functions. In 2019, the average salary for a project accountant was $58,699. This is a little higher than what it reports for accounting professionals without project management skills.
What Makes This a Great
Project Accountant Resume Example?
When trying to secure a project accountant position, creating a professional resume that will captivate a recruiter’s attention is key. LiveCareer’s project accountant resume examples show you exactly how to write up your credentials in a way that will make a great impression. Here are some of the ways our resume examples can help you:
- Identify the best content: Proving that you have relevant project accounting experience isn’t enough. The words you choose to describe that experience also make a big difference. Our resume examples utilize content written by certified resume writers who know the right keywords and phrases to set you apart from other applications. Plus, when you use our resume builder, you have access to this same pre-written content. Use this text as-is or personalize it to make it your own.
- Decide on a resume format: With a bachelor’s degree required to pursue even an entry-level project accountant position, employers will likely focus more on your skills and the work experience when considering your application. To put those front and center, you’ll need to choose the right resume format. The project accountant resume example, above, was created using a combination resume format to emphasize the candidate’s work history and unique skill set. Entry-level and senior level applicants might choose another resume format.
- Select a professional template: When designing your project accountant resume, keep in mind that the accounting industry is quite conservative. Therefore, your resume template should be buttoned up, as well. The resume example above uses a pop of color to give it character but the rest of the design is clean and simple allowing the applicant’s qualifications to take the spotlight.
3 Project Accountant Professional Summaries Examples
The professional summary is often the most difficult part of the resume to write because it is the most subjective. It can feel impossible to decide what’s most important to highlight in this section. You will find pre-written samples in our Resume Builder to simplify this process for you. Modify them to meet your needs and then move to the next section. Here are some examples that might work for you:
- Former project manager turned project accountant with skills covering a wide span of industries. Construction, software development and product research are just some of the many areas worked in. Committed to liaising with project managers and team leads to keep projects on track and within budget.
- Seasoned accounting professional who has worked in various accounting positions for the past 15 years. Areas of experience include financial management, tax management and budgeting. Eager to put these qualifications to use as a project accountant.
- Experienced project accountant with a strong foundation in construction, engineering and property development. Proven track record of keeping projects within budget. Committed to continued development of qualifications through the current pursuit of a CPA designation.
3 Project Accountant Work Experience Section Examples
Online search results rarely yield the help you need when working on your resume. Use our project accountant Resume Builder to find pre-written content and adjust them in a number of ways, such as adding metrics. Consider these three examples below:
- Liaised with the project manager, project auditors and legal professionals to ensure the project remained on target
- Worked alongside the financial controller and project manager to bring costs down after a natural disaster led to a 25% spike in the cost of the materials
- Increased the successful payment rate from 80% to 96% by tracking and collecting unpaid invoices for various construction projects
Top Skills for Your Project Accountant Resume
To get past the automated systems recruiters use to review resumes, you must have the right keywords included in your resume. Unfortunately, guessing which of them recruiters want to see can prove difficult. This is why we create pre-made suggestions for you. Take a look at those below:
- Budget management
- Management accounting
- Subcontractor invoicing
- Risk analysis
- Attention to detail
Find Your Ideal Job
Once you’ve built your resume, stay on top of your job search with Job Alerts. Once you sign up, we will email you when there are new project accountant openings in your location.
Data and Statistics on Project Accountant
Median salary (2019)
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics
Source: Bureau of Labor Statistics
Plain Text Project Accountant Resume
Name: Darren Riggs
Address: City, State, Zip Code
Adept at managing budgets, payroll, invoicing and all other general accounting functions. Instrumental in keeping business operations fully compliant and working within budgetary guidelines. Fastidious in tracking all expenses and reconciling accounts.
- Budget Analysis
- Financial Management
- Job Cost Tracking
- Contract Management
- Project Variance Audits
- Met with customers to collect specific financial information and verify details for the preparation of annual forms.
- Read, escalated and reported invoices for projects of varying size and complexity.
- Reviewed project employee credentials and approved or rejected account access as appropriate.
- Increased new relationships within local community by 35% through new financial management and outreach.
- Facilitated internal audits and prepared detailed reports on findings.
- Gathered and analyzed financial data to determine improvement efforts.
- Partnered with auditors to prepare yearly audits and realize compliance with governmental tax guidelines.
- Managed, tracked and monitored financial updates, watch lists and insurance files.
- Managed entire accounting cycle including gathering information, preparing documents, finalizing reports and closing books.
Education & Training
Project Accountant FAQs
What is a good objective for an accounting resume?
Modern resume templates replaced objectives with professional summaries, but many people still prefer to use the objective header and are welcome to do so. Consider one that illustrates how you intend to add value to the organization.
Experienced project accountant with an eye for detail who remains committed to producing error-free work and ensuring project deliverables are on time and within budget.
How do you write accounting achievements on a resume?
Accounting is a field with a strong basis in numeracy, so using metrics is important. Metrics help to better illustrate how a professional adds value to an organization. Adjectives and active verbs also play crucial roles. Consider the differences between the following:
Incorrect: Responsible for reconciling accounts at the end of every quarter
Correct: Accurately completed account reconciliations that totaled more than $3 million each quarter
How much does a project accountant make?
The BLS reports a median annual salary of $71,550. However, the highest-earning 10% make as much as $124,450 per year. This is much higher than the figures reported by PayScale. It reports an average salary of $58,699 and a high of only $85,000. The BLS figure stands a higher chance of accuracy because it looks at nationwide data, whereas PayScale relies on what people report directly to it.