I am a biomedical researcher with expertise in cancer and iron biology. I am passionate, insightful, diligent and methodical at work with ability to carry out research independently from conception of an idea to designing and performing research, data analyses and preparation of manuscript. I maintain high professional integrity and ethical standards.
A lot of my research was focusses on understanding the association between poor lifestyle factors (e.g., diet) and cancer, thereby linking three major chronic diseases such as diabetes, obesity and cancer. I was also involved in studying the role of AMPK and mTOR signaling in regulating the bioenergetics of normal and cancer cells.
Used genetically engineered mouse models to study various aspects of iron metabolism including anemia of inflammation, mobilization of iron stores during blood loss, Vitamin D-hepcidin link, effect of high fat diet on iron levels, etc.
Studied pathophysiology of iron overload associated cardiomyopathy using a mouse model of hemochromatosis.
1. Womack J*, Sukumaran A*, Li X*, Lozovatsky L, Gallagher PG, Seid JE, Finberg KE. Functional characterization of a novel SLC40A1 Arg88Ile mutation in a kindred with familial iron overload treated by phlebotomy. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2021 Mar;87:102532. doi: 10.1016/j.bcmd.2020.102532. Epub 2020 Dec 24. [*equal contribution].
2. Li X, Lozovatsky L, Sukumaran A, Gonzalez L, Jain A, Liu D, Ayala-Lopez N, Finberg KE. NCOA4 is regulated by HIF and mediates mobilization of murine hepatic iron stores after blood loss. Blood. 2020 Dec 3;136(23):2691-2702.
3. Muraleedharan R, Gawali MV, Tiwari D, Sukumaran A, et al. AMPK-Regulated Astrocytic Lactate Shuttle Plays a Non-Cell-Autonomous Role in Neuronal Survival. Cell Rep. 2020 Sep 1;32(9):108092.
4. Sukumaran A*, Choi K, Dasgupta B*. Insight on Transcriptional Regulation of the Energy Sensing AMPK and Biosynthetic mTOR Pathway Genes. Front Cell Dev Biol. 2020 Jul 29;8:671. (Review). [*corresponding authors].
5. Varghese J, Varghese James J, Karthikeyan M, Rasalkar K, Raghavan R, Sukumaran A, Premkumar PS, Eapen CE, Jacob M. Iron homeostasis is dysregulated, but the iron-hepcidin axis is functional, in chronic liver disease. J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2020 Mar;58:126442.
6. Sukumaran A*, Chang J*, Han M, Mintri S, Khaw BA, Kim J. Iron overload exacerbates age-associated cardiac hypertrophy in a mouse model of hemochromatosis. Sci Rep. 2017 Jul 18;7(1):5756. [*equal contribution].
7. Varghese J, James JV, Sagi S, Chakraborty S, Sukumaran A, Ramakrishna B, Jacob M . Decreased hepatic iron in response to alcohol may contribute to alcohol-induced suppression of hepcidin. Br J Nutr. 2016 Jun;115(11):1978-86.
8. Sukumaran A, James J, Janardhan HP, Amaladas A, Suresh LM, Danda D, Jeyeseelan V, Ramakrishna BS and Jacob M. Expression of iron-related proteins in the duodenum is up-regulated in patients with chronic inflammatory disorders. Br J Nutr. 2014 Mar 28;111(6):1059-68.
9. Sukumaran A, Venkatraman A and Jacob M. Inflammation-induced effects on iron-related proteins in splenic macrophages and the liver in mice. Blood Cells Mol Dis. 2012 Jun 15;49(1):11-9.
10. Sukumaran A, Varghese J, Tamilselvan J, Jeyaseelan V, Mani T, Simpson RJ, McKie AT and Jacob M. Effects of acute and chronic inflammation on proteins involved in duodenal iron absorption: a time-course study. Br J Nutr. 2012 Feb 24:1-8.
11. Faith M, Sukumaran A, Pulimood AB, Jacob M. How reliable an indicator of inflammation is myeloperoxidase activity? Clin Chim Acta. 2008 Oct;396(1-2):23-5.
In vitro techniques: Cell culture (adherent and suspension culture), enrichment of epithelial cell population from different organs, organoid culture, lentivirus preparation of plasmids, viability and proliferation assays.
In vivo techniques: mouse handling and surgery, retro-orbital bleeding, subcutaneous injection, intraperitoneal injection, tail vein bleeding, stereotactic intracranial implantation of cells, performing experiments using metabolic cages,
Molecular biology techniques: DNA, RNA and protein isolation, PCR, RTqPCR, SDS-PAGE, western blotting, ELISA, enzyme assays, colorimetric assays, ultracentrifugation, immunoflurescence, immunocytochemistry, immunohistochemistry, confocal microscopy, flow cytometry, site-directed mutagenesis, cloning, CRISPR/Cas9 technology.
Bioinformatics: RNA-seq analysis, MS office (word, excel, powerpoint), Graphpad prism 9.
Resumes, and other information uploaded or provided by the user, are considered User Content governed by our Terms & Conditions. As such, it is not owned by us, and it is the user who retains ownership over such content.
Job Titles Held: